Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prepping fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prepping-fabric-t269722.html)

Blessed2Quilt 09-07-2015 01:29 PM

Prepping fabric

How do you prep fabric for quilting? What temperatures do you use to wash fabrics? Do you use steam, starch, etc. when ironing out the wrinkles?

woody 09-07-2015 01:43 PM

I don't pre-wash unless the fabric looks as though it will bleed. I use steam and lots of starch when I press the fabric before I cut it.

ube quilting 09-07-2015 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I did just today.

First test for color fast by dipping a corner of each questionable piece in very hot water and check for bleeding. If this occurs I wash them separately.
These are some 1/4 yds. that are going into my next project.
Washed in a pillow case to keep them from tangling. 4 Safety pins keep the case closed.
Hung wrong side out on the line.
Sprayed while on the line with my home made Niagara brand (medium stiffness) starch.
Leave in the breeze till almost dry.
Press with dry iron to remove wrinkles. If they get too dry I will either spritz with water or use steam.

I get a nice feel to the fabric this way, not overly limp or stiff.
Never have to worry about shrinking or bleeding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530059[/ATTACH]peace

joe'smom 09-07-2015 02:02 PM

I know I should test for bleeding, but I haven't gotten in that habit yet. I finish my fabric edges with a zig zag stitch, group by similar color, add a color catcher to the load, wash with a smidge of woolite on delicate (shorter cycle) warm, and dry about 15 min. I drape the fabric in various places around the house for awhile before folding, as it's hard to tell when warm if the fabric is still at all damp. I then hand press and fold. There seems no point in going to the trouble of pressing with the iron at this point, since I will have to press the fold creases out again when fabric is used.

ube quilting 09-07-2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7310216)
I know I should test for bleeding, but I haven't gotten in that habit yet. I finish my fabric edges with a zig zag stitch, group by similar color, add a color catcher to the load, wash with a smidge of woolite on delicate (shorter cycle) warm, and dry about 15 min. I drape the fabric in various places around the house for awhile before folding, as it's hard to tell when warm if the fabric is still at all damp. I then hand press and fold. There seems no point in going to the trouble of pressing with the iron at this point, since I will have to press the fold creases out again when fabric is used.

I so agree with you. I should have mentioned in my other post that I to only do my prepping when I am ready to start the project, never for storing.

If I buy fabric for my stash it is washed, dried and hand pressed and folded to go onto the shelves. Then whatever I pick to use only needs, cutting off of yardage, starching and pressing.

Thanks for the reminder.
peace

PaperPrincess 09-07-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7310216)

I do something similar, but I got a new washer, a front loader and I don't get any strings raveling when I wash yardage, so I don't have to zigzag or anything to the edges. I also just fold & store, then when I'm ready to use it, I mist with water, then spray starch and iron.

Jeanne S 09-07-2015 03:44 PM

I preWash most everything in warm to hot water, with a little if my regular detergent (Tide) but no fabric softeners. After drying in the dryer, I smooth out and fold and store. When ready to use, I spray starch and iron before cutting.

bearisgray 09-07-2015 07:57 PM

the brief version: overcast raw edges, soak, wash, dry, fold, put away, iron before cutting.

I unfold the fabric.- that crease does not need any more abrasion.

I serge or overcast the raw edges of most larger pieces.

I soak like colors in hot water - as hot as it comes from the tap - until the water cools down.

If the water says clear, then I wash the fabrics on a short, gentle cycle with a very small amount of mild detergent, preferably unscented.

Then I line dry or dry in the dryer without any dryer sheets.

I then fold the fabric and store it until ready to cut it.
E
Most good quality fabtics dry smoothly enough so just hand smoothing them is enough until ready to cut.

Iron/ press before cutting. if one is going to cut little pieces, or pieces with bias edges, starch/sizing might Be done about here. I am of the belief that fabric should have enough body after being washed to not need additional additives to be managrable. But to each his/ her own.

If the water is colored during the soaking process, I try to figure out which piece of fabric is colorng the water and then rinse that piece some more.

If I cannot get it to stop coloring the water, I dry it and discard it.

Some people would treat that piece with Retayne at that point.

I want to be able to toss all the colors I sm planning to use in the washer with all of them still the same color that I put in - without needing to worry about remembering to use color catchers or some additive such as Synthrapol.

I also assume my "clientele" will not have nough sense to baby the quilts.

I will give stern cautions about avoiding bleach!

A caveat: never let wet fabrics set in a basket for a long tome before drying them - this is another opportunity for dye transfer

The peocess really is not that labor intensive. I do my soaking of small pieces in kettles or bowls.
I can soak a really big piece in the kitchen sink.

I have had bleeds - that is why I go to such lengths to try to avoid them now.
I have also had some drastic shrnkage. I did not like that, either.

ManiacQuilter2 09-08-2015 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 7310198)
I don't pre-wash unless the fabric looks as though it will bleed. I use steam and lots of starch when I press the fabric before I cut it.

I don't pre-wash either. I usually oversize the components that make up the blocks so then I starch them, press then trim. It is just finding out what works best for you.

lfletcher 09-08-2015 05:06 AM

I wash all my fabric on a gentle cycle in warm water with no detergent, but with a color catcher. I then dry it in the dryer and when ironing, I use spray starch. Someone told me a long time ago not to use detergent but I can't remember why but I still use this method.