Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Presser foot up or down? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/presser-foot-up-down-t209958.html)

HillCountryGal 01-03-2013 06:08 AM

The only time I leave the presser foot down is when I transport my machine.
Think the idea of leaving fabric could be to absorb any access machine oil (if it comes from the repair shop that way).

unicorn53 01-03-2013 06:46 AM

I have always put needle down thru fabric with the foot down. Nor sure where I learned it, just always remember doing it. :-)

EasyPeezy 01-03-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5758550)
When you store your machine or finish with it for the day do you leave the presser foot up or do you put it down with a piece of fabric between it and the feed dogs? I always left mine up but I have been told not to because it puts too much stress on the tension springs. Which is it? None of my manuals, from vintage Singer to modern Pfaff and Brother, say anything about the presser foot position during storage or down time.

My Janome dealer told me the same thing when I bought my machine. So that's what I do.

GrandmaNewt 01-03-2013 08:28 AM

If I am transporting the machine then the foot and needle are down with fabric inbetween. Usually tho, not only do I leave the foot up, but I take the foot off too. The reason I do this is because when the machine is turned on the needle defaults to the left side. Usually I have my 1/4 inch piecing foot on the machine which needs the needle to be in the center position. I take the foot off so that I don't accidently break the needle when I start sewing.

deanneellen 01-03-2013 08:33 AM

I was also taught through 4-H and Home-ec that the foot was down with a piece of fabric in between. Maybe old fashioned but habits die hard!

Chicca 01-03-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5758550)
When you store your machine or finish with it for the day do you leave the presser foot up or do you put it down with a piece of fabric between it and the feed dogs? I always left mine up but I have been told not to because it puts too much stress on the tension springs. Which is it? None of my manuals, from vintage Singer to modern Pfaff and Brother, say anything about the presser foot position during storage or down time.

Excellent question! I had never thought about it. From now on I will be putting my foot down with the fabric. If it helps to protect the spring and prolongs the life. Thanks for sharing and for everyone else that responded.

Peckish 01-03-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5758861)
the idea of leaving fabric could be to absorb any access machine oil

This is the reason why I put fabric under the presser foot on my Wow (stretched Singer). It does leak oil once in a while. However I only put the presser foot down, not the needle.

vondae 01-03-2013 10:21 AM

This is a first for me. I've been sewing since I was a young child & no one has ever mentioned it. But, it does make sense to me. I will try to get this old dog to learn something new. Oh, can I remember it though? THAT, is the real question. HEE HEE.

sewmary 01-03-2013 10:42 AM

Have never done it. Has never seemed to have a bad effect on my machines.

Never going to do it. Don't need to remember another "rule"!

Weezy Rider 01-03-2013 05:01 PM

On my embroidery machine - if I've been using the embroidery unit and turn the machine off, the machine leaves the foot up. You can't use the lever to put the foot down. Embroidery mode overrides it. If I want to put the foot down, I have to turn the machine back on. If I'm just sewing, the foot goes down.