Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing Quilt Binding Before Final Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-quilt-binding-before-final-sewing-t300005.html)

nativetexan 10-05-2018 05:00 PM

I don't press it after sewing either. just after cutting and piecing the strips.

Rhonda K 10-05-2018 05:57 PM

As Pudge mentions, NO to pressing binding in half prior to the first stitch down. The outside fold surface area is slightly larger than the inside fold. Pressing in half results in a fold line that is off from the true fold line.

YES I press the attached binding away from the qiilt. It helps me make better corners.

Cari-in-Oly 10-05-2018 05:58 PM

I almost always do a bias binding and I don't press at all. I match raw edges when I sew it to the back of the quilt, flip it to the front and use my zipper foot to sew it to the front of the quilt. I hold a couple inches in place with my hands(no pins or clips) keeping the edge of the binding right at the seam. Using a zipper foot helps me keep the binding right where I want it and my stitches right at the edge where they should be.

Cari

Barb in Louisiana 10-05-2018 06:11 PM

No pressing for me, other than pressing the joining seams open on the binding before I sew it to the quilt. I use 2 1/2" bias binding, fold it in half, and sew it to the back snugly. I roll about a 16th of an inch to the back to extend past where I sewed the binding on, then I use the clover clips and my 1/4" sewing foot, lining up with the 1/8" seam and sew the front down. If I do it right, it looks like I have used a bias binding foot and sewed it on and nowhere do you see the original seam line. I admit I do have to do some ripping because I like it to look good.

quiltingshorttimer 10-05-2018 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewf (Post 8138319)
Tartan and Prism 99 - do you only use 80/20 or 100% cotton?

I do as Tartan and Prism does--pressing that binding "open" after it's on the front. It doesn't matter what type of bat is used (I've used everything) because you aren't touching bat with the iron.

gshalom 10-06-2018 01:37 AM

I do but just press it so there are no folds...I just did a “large” king...118 x 126....and it took all of about 10 minutes. It also helps the corners hold the miter well.

bearisgray 10-06-2018 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8138436)
As Pudge mentions, NO to pressing binding in half prior to the first stitch down. The outside fold surface area is slightly larger than the inside fold. Pressing in half results in a fold line that is off from the true fold line.

YES I press the attached binding away from the qiilt. It helps me make better corners.

I also press the binding away from the body of the quilt - but I do not press to the "fold line" of the binding. The battings I used were Warm and Natural. I think it's easier to use an iron than to finger press all the way around the perimeter.

sandy l 10-06-2018 03:24 AM

Me too, as it does seem to make it easier to fold over the binding.

Tartan 10-06-2018 04:55 AM

I usually use 80/20 batt but if I use a polyester, I still press the binding outward after sewing to the front. I don’t have the iron really hot as that could compress the polyester batt.

SusieQOH 10-06-2018 06:25 AM

I've never done this but I'm going to give it a try. Binding and I don't get along very well :)