Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing Seams to the side or open??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-seams-side-open-t153846.html)

marcialb 09-19-2011 07:24 AM

My Long Arm (HandiQuilter Fusion) "complains" about going over seams all the time-- but if, as one person here has suggested, the seam is less strong if ironed open, then I don't care what my Angel (the Fusion's name) says-- I'm going to keep ironing to one side!

Just my two yen,
Marcia

caspharm 09-19-2011 07:29 AM

Generally, I press to the side. I mainly press them open for backing. Agreed, that if there is a lot of bulk, consider pressing them open, but trimming will also work. However, if there is a need for SID and the seams are pressed open, the thread may be cut by the needle when SID.

luvstoquilt301 09-19-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
As a hand quilter I was taught to press to the side. I am making one now that I have been pressing the seams open as much as I can. Sometimes this creates too much bulk so I press that seam to the side.

It does take longer and I will not do it on every block I make.

My friend sells her quilts and she tells me she just presses and where ever they go they go lol!!

As long as my quilt top is laying flat I'm happy.

This is what Ginny Beyer does---but she is also a hand piecer.

EagarBeez 09-19-2011 08:05 AM

When I started quilting, I pressed the blocks open, I read on here, that quite a few pressed to the side, so I started that. Did not like the outcome in the least. Went back to pressing them open. I also came up with a little trick. When joing seams, as I am doing with the log cabin I am now making. I finger press the seams and when joining, just stitching over the opened seam. When I press it's much easier on pressing the rest of the seam open

Dkm 09-19-2011 10:01 AM

I always press open. I like the smooth look and feel. I was told to shorten the stitch length. It does require more pressing, but worth it.

IAmCatOwned 09-19-2011 10:04 AM

Pressing seams to the side results in a stronger seam than pressing them open. There are no quilt police. If you want to press them open, go for it. There are several nationally known quilters who do so. However, I will tell you that the seams near the top of the quilt, which get the most use, are also the ones more likely to show threads, so make sure you match the threads with the fabric rather than using a generic color, at least for that top row.

MrsWiggs 09-19-2011 10:26 AM

Usually press to the side but recently made an "I spy" & not knowing how I would position the blox, I pressed all seams open.

Maresan 09-19-2011 11:27 AM

I always press my seams open. It seems like its less bulk and it works for me.

kwiltnutt 09-19-2011 12:03 PM

I read somewhere that there is a risk of the batting bearding through the seam if pressed open. I press to the side and changing now would be hard.

Debo 09-19-2011 12:32 PM

I press to the side but I'm considering pressing them open.The bulk created at adjoining seams is hard to work with.