Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-seams-t262453.html)

Genden 03-10-2015 08:25 PM

Pressing seams

I was taught that all seams should be pressed to the side. I know that this helps in aligning seams as they fit together like a puzzle. This is not an issue with the quilt top I am now assembling. I would like to press the seams open, but the quilt police in my head shouts that I will do so at my own peril. This quilt is appliqued on a black/charcoal background. I will piece with black Aurifil thread and use black batting. Advice please.

Peckish 03-10-2015 08:42 PM

I will press seams open if it helps reduce bulk. My longarmer thanks me for this.

Use your best judgement. What's the worst that could happen? Some people say the seams will pull apart, or the batting will sneak through the seam, but I've never had that happen.

joe'smom 03-10-2015 09:44 PM

I think pressing to the side is only strictly necessary for hand-pieced seams.

Tartan 03-11-2015 02:37 AM

I press black fabric open with white batt and the grey thread and the thread showed a bit until it was washed. If you are using black thread and batt you should be fine.

Jeanne S 03-11-2015 04:21 AM

I also press seams open to reduce bulk in designs where several points are coming together. Never had a problem. But I don't SID by these seams either as sometimes I am not that accurate and don't want to stitch down directly along on top of an open pressed seam for fear that the needle would pierce the seam threads. This might not be a valid concern, but it is what I do.

Barb in Louisiana 03-11-2015 04:34 AM

I only press the seams open when they become too bulky, like when HST corners meet. When I think I will have to press them open, I use a 1.6 or 1.8 stitch length to keep the seam from unraveling. I press all seams in long borders open and press my binding seams open. These joins just show up too much for me when I press them to the side.

Bottom line....it's what you want to do when you want to do it. If you want to press all of them open, then go for it. I wouldn't, because it is a lot harder with the quarter inch seam to press them open and I am a bit lazy and am a lot more likely to burn my fingers and it takes me a lot longer. I only do it in the special circumstances mentioned above.

Note added: when you get used to nesting the seams, it becomes much more natural to press them to the side. I did have to press some of the seams open when I was working on Judy Niemeyer's Bali Wedding Star. Those pesky points would NOT line up when I tried pressing them to each side. I wish I could subscribe to the galloping horse view, but I just can't. If I can see it from a foot, then it has to be fixed.

NJ Quilter 03-11-2015 05:07 AM

I press my seams open all the time and never have issues. I've not been nearly as successful in 'nesting' my seams and getting points to match properly with nested seams vs open seams. Have not had any issues with any of my quilts coming apart that I am aware.

PenniF 03-11-2015 05:22 AM

I think pressing to the side had the added benefit of reducing "pull" on the seams...but if you're quilting it, that will do the same thing. Plus...i'm pretty sure we've all decided there ARE no authentic quilt police!!:thumbup:

tessagin 03-11-2015 05:27 AM

I think it just all depends on each situation.

ManiacQuilter2 03-11-2015 05:41 AM

I press my seams to the side unless it is to eliminate bulk. Be careful NOT to use the inexpensive batting because it will beard thru. I had this happen to me and there is NOTHING you can do. Also remember that your seams will NOT have the support from the side seam when quilted.