Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-seams-t301282.html)

Jcarpentier 12-01-2018 04:15 AM

Pressing seams

Good morning,

I have a quilt block I am making that has numerous seams and it says to press the seams to one side. I prefer to press my seams open, especially with so many, to reduce bulk. Will this matter in the end? Thanks.

Barb2018 12-01-2018 04:47 AM

Although I like the way that seams nest together when you sew seams to the side, I like the less bulky appearance of seams pressed open. If I have quilt blocks that are sewn exactly the same and will be laid out exactly the same I will usually press seams to the side so that seams can nest. But, if I have blocks that are going to be rotated so that you can't quit figure which way the seams will go, I'll press all the seams open. If I have numerous seams, like with a star, I press the seams open. Clear as mud, huh?

Jcarpentier 12-01-2018 05:09 AM

No it makes sense. Thank you. These blocks are made of different shapes, triangles mostly, and will be set en point. Thanks

NJ Quilter 12-01-2018 06:05 AM

It's very rare that I press my seams to the side. I press open whenever possible. For me, I find it easier to match points with open seams as well as getting a much flatter block. I say go for it!

tallchick 12-01-2018 06:53 AM

I too always press open, everything is far easier to match, easier to long arm and it my preserves my sanity. Do shorten your stitch length.

KalamaQuilts 12-01-2018 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe split the difference and spin them? These are 1.5" squares, 1" finished.

in your case, what goes next to it is probably what should be considered?

Stitchnripper 12-01-2018 07:37 AM

I have started pressing the seams open. Use a short stitch length. Leah day goes through this on her site. I think it is also a you tube video.

CathieD 12-01-2018 08:02 AM

Another thing to consider is the quilting plan for your quilt top after it's assembled. If you want to stitch in the ditch you have to press the seams to the side to create the ditch for yourself or your longarmer. You can do that consistently- throughout the entire quilt- or selectively-just the seams where the blocks join together. Something to think about.

Iceblossom 12-01-2018 09:26 AM

I've been pressing my seams open for the most part for decades. Periodically I try the to the side method and I simply do not get the same accurate results. A lot of it just depends on what you are used to, me I use lots of pins and press all the time.

I'm currently working on a fan quilt. I do usually press curved seams to one side and I have been doing that. My fan blades are pressed open but all the other seams (including the sashing now) are pressed to the side. Just works better with curves.

Jingle 12-01-2018 12:43 PM

I always press to the side, easier to match intersections.