Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing Strip Sets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-strip-sets-t202768.html)

Handcraftsbyjen 10-09-2012 09:24 PM

Put a single layer of flannel on your ironing board. Then, iron your sets on the flannel. The flannel will help hold the fabric in place and will help make it so it doesn't get distorted.

Jim 10-09-2012 10:21 PM

I gently press after setting the seams and starch heavily

rebeljane 10-10-2012 12:26 AM

I just line it up against my 24" ruler, press that bit then line it up again and press again.

117becca 10-10-2012 12:48 AM

are you sure your strip set is straight to begin w/?? I know there have been times that if i don't pay attention and my fabric isn't straight, I get a bow in the middle of the strip before i even begin..

Tashana 10-10-2012 04:54 AM

One way to prevent warping of strips is to alternate the sides when you sew. For example, you sew two strips together and when you are done use the bottom of the pair as a starting point to sew the third strip.

Buckeye Rose 10-10-2012 07:19 AM

The strip sets are straight before I start pressing...it seems to be something I am doing while pressing LOL I guess it is just my way way of making an easy quilt difficult! I do like the idea of the pressing strip...will have to look into making my own.....am also going to try the marker line on the ironing board fabric....I made my own cover and have some scraps yet to test and see just how "permanent" the marker is.....Thanks everyone for your tips!

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5574926)
are you sure your strip set is straight to begin w/?? I know there have been times that if i don't pay attention and my fabric isn't straight, I get a bow in the middle of the strip before i even begin..

barny 10-10-2012 07:28 AM

Be sure and don't lay it along the ironing board. That's what I've been told, and that is what I do. I haven't had any problems YET! HA.

quilterjody 10-10-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5575235)
One way to prevent warping of strips is to alternate the sides when you sew. For example, you sew two strips together and when you are done use the bottom of the pair as a starting point to sew the third strip.

When I started doing this my strip sets became much straighter. You will notice this even more if you are sewing lots of strips together like in a bargello.

maviskw 10-11-2012 04:45 AM

Could someone give us an idea on how to make these stripsticks? They seem to be a helpful tool and not too hard to make. If someone has made one, we could learn from their mistakes! LOL

Scissor Queen 10-11-2012 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 5577532)
Could someone give us an idea on how to make these stripsticks? They seem to be a helpful tool and not too hard to make. If someone has made one, we could learn from their mistakes! LOL

It's simply a piece of half round covered with thin batting and muslin. The one I bought is sewn on but I'll bet you could just glue it on the flat side. One lady I met years and years ago just used a plain piece of half round without anything over it. At the time I didn't really get what she was using it for until I saw the demo at the quilt show.