Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing - why not steam? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-why-not-steam-t268763.html)

katybob 08-15-2015 07:51 AM

I was watching a Love of Quilting rerun recently and Maryanne Fons was asked if she used steam. Her reply was that she uses steam until her iron runs out of water -- and then she doesn't! :D:D

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-15-2015 08:29 AM

I use a pressurized boiler iron (Reliable i500) which uses dry steam from a separate pressurized steam tank. Don't have a problem one with distortion . . .but them I'm careful to "press" not iron.

bearisgray 08-15-2015 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7286355)
. . .

And, some fabrics shrink more than others.

. . ..

Which is why I now soak my fabrics in HOT water and then wash and dry them BEFORE cutting them. It takes care of most of the shrinkage and minimizes unpleasant surprises later.

I have also found that if I cut the fabrics so that the threads in the completed block will be perpendicular to the edge of the block, and then press with the grain lines, I seldom have any distortion.

joyce888 08-15-2015 08:25 PM

I'm a steamer and starcher. I want my seams flat and to say in place.

annette1952 08-16-2015 02:47 AM

I love steam but I am careful. I press rather than iron & that helps a lot from distorting the piece.

WMUTeach 08-16-2015 03:09 AM

I use steam when I am ironing out the wrinkles when I was fabric and when the quilt top is finished, all pieced and ready for layering. I know that I tend to stretch my fabric when I use steam. I often hear that we are supposed to press not iron our pieces. Ironing with steam will distort a cut piece. Pressing without steam works well. Bottom line, is adjust how use my iron to what I am doing within the process of creating a quilt.

Reba'squilts 08-16-2015 03:23 AM

I use steam. If iron goes empty I spritz until I refill. Have not had a problem with it. Just set iron on, lift and set in a new position. All the other "steamers" are right...not a lot of movement back and forth with the iron!

annesthreads 08-16-2015 03:31 AM

In the Craftsy class that's made me think about this topic, Winnie Fleming uses steam. She sets the iron on the fabric, takes her hand off it very briefly, then repeats. This means it's definitely pressing rather than ironing. I was nervous about scorching the fabric, but in fact it works very well - my seams are beautifully pressed and I guess the steam ensures no scorching.

tessagin 08-16-2015 03:32 AM

I use steam and I also use a spray bottle with a vinegar water mix. It helps relax the wrinkles. I give the fabric a shake after using the spray bottle then press without tugging on the fabric. No distortions.

paoberle 08-16-2015 03:50 AM

I always steam and have had no problems. I don't think I get good result without it. I like really flat seams. The concern seems to be that you are more likely to stretch the material with steam. I'm just careful not to pull my material.