Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preventing unraveling fabric in the wash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preventing-unraveling-fabric-wash-t133473.html)

Quilter7x 06-27-2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I have found either using my pinking scissors and/or my wavy cut rotary blades, really works well....and if I see that on my fabric I know it has been washed.....

I serge or pink the edges of all my fabric, and like Deborahlees, if fabric in my stash is serged, I know it's been washed.

DogHouseMom 06-27-2011 07:20 AM

I just did a few loads of new fabric laundry last night. When I first started sewing I bought a lot of FQ and constantly complained about fray. My more recent fabric purchases have been yardage and I can say that I have FAR less fraying. Last night not a single piece of fabric was "tied" to any other piece of fabric and I had very few strings on the ones that did have some fray.

Once, a few years ago I made a list of which manufacturers frayed more than others. I'll try to find it.

TonnieLoree 06-27-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3
cut off the corners it helps

That is what I was going to say.

Bonbonary 06-27-2011 07:26 AM

Pinking shears have eliminated that problem for me. I just go around all the edges & its very simple

blisterful 06-27-2011 07:27 AM

I use Fray Check. It will stop fraying forever.

luvspaper 06-27-2011 07:30 AM

I also wash on the hand wash cycle and it really has cut down on the fray.

Iamquilter 06-27-2011 08:12 AM

I prewash all my quilting fabric and serge the edges - no raveling ever.

GrannieAnnie 06-27-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Julie's free time
I end up with a ball of string with fabric flags hanging off of it when I try to wash a bunch of fabric. I tried according folding and then pinning the ends, still got a wad-o-tangles, this time with pins sticking out of it; putting it in a mesh bag, got a wad-o-tangles in the bag; and the latest try is cutting the edge with pinking shears. Waiting for the load to finish now to see if that worked.

Any suggestions to avoid the next Gordian knot?
Julie

This takes time but works. Fold the fabric into a short hem and zigzag loooooooooong stitches across the cut side. Afer washing and drying, remove the stitches. The longer the easier to remove.

AgapeStitches 06-27-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by newbee3
cut off the corners it helps

That is what I was going to say.

****this really does work...the edge looks like a rag quilt...no strings tying everything together. pinking shears has the same effect****

GrannieAnnie 06-27-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
I also wash on the hand wash cycle and it really has cut down on the fray.

My washer has a hand wash cycle, too. Used it for the first time recently when washing fabric. After all the fabric isn't really dirty, so the easy agitation is great.