Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewash Fabric or Not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewash-fabric-not-t34184.html)

Jim's Gem 01-15-2010 11:18 AM

I don't usually prewash. However if some of it is already pre-washed, you will want to keep it consistent.
I usually only prewash my flannels.

Honey 01-15-2010 11:28 AM

The only time I prwash is when I am working with flannel. I have never had a problem with fabric from my lqs or with the places that I order from.

amma 01-15-2010 11:40 AM

I agree, it is better to prewash it all, or none :D:D:D

richbrote 01-15-2010 02:22 PM

If you start out cutting from prewashed fabric you should
make sure all of your fabric is prewashed. Likewise if you start out cutting with unwashed fabric you should continue with unwashed fabric. In other words do not mix prewashed with unwashed fabrics.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-15-2010 02:23 PM

I would wash the new fabric.

NancyRose 01-15-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I prewash all my fabrics for several reasons.
1. Different manufacturers fabrics will shrink different percentages.
2. Removal of chemicals, formaldehyde, sizings, cotton polish, etc. helps to fabric to be "true"
3. Prewashing gives you a view of the finished quilt..

Thanks for your post. It was very informative. I admit I was leaning towards not prewashing, but you have made such valid points that I will now. I hope your eyes get better. I suffer from allergies, and in the fall my eyes were giving me fits, too.

NancyRose 01-15-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I would also pre-wash the additional fabric because the other is washed. If I am using a jelly roll and mixing it with yardage (usually from the same collection), then I don't wash the yardage because I don't wash the jelly roll.

Otherwise, I do pre-wash. To get that nice crispness of new fabric I use startch.

I wondered about jelly rolls! I guess the rule of thumb is, wash if you can. It just bothers me when I see how the cut edges fray and you lose precious fabric. You have a beautiful quilt in your avatar picture. I have some hand-dyed fabric I have been buying every year at the International Quilt Festival in Chicago every year, and I would like to eventually make a quilt like yours. So far I don't feel confident enough to attempt it.

Ardis 01-16-2010 07:15 AM

I was recently told, by a quilting instructor that fabrics today are not "cured" for more than an hour (at one time it was 2 days) so that all cottons should be pre-washed to be sure of no surprises in your finished quilt. So, now I do, and I have found that if you get the fabric right out of the drier before it is totally dry, and smooth it out, there is very little ironing required,

Jeannie 01-16-2010 07:23 AM

I prewash all of my fabric. A bleed will break your heart!

pamsmpk 01-16-2010 08:28 AM

Same here, I DO pre-wash flannels because they have a tendency to shrink but otherwise....only wash completed quilts with a color catcher