Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewash fusible batting.......I am spittin nails right now. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewash-fusible-batting-i-am-spittin-nails-right-now-t59210.html)

wvdek 08-13-2010 08:17 AM

:shock: :evil: :evil:

I bought 5 yards of the fusible batting for the Bow Tucks bags, had it in a plastic bag on top of my magazines cuz too big for drawer, and my DD's cat peed on bag. A tiny amount found its way in the bag and it smells.
It will make me nauseated to work with that odor (yeah I know I worked in a kennel for 5 years and the smell never bothered me. This is in my home), so I was wondering if I use COLD water gentle cycle, will I ruin the fusion part? Should I just air it out and use it, then wash?

nativetexan 08-13-2010 08:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the fusible would go away on fusible batting. it does in a finished quilt when washed. perhaps you could email them?
wait- this would be fusible fleece?? hmmm.i still think any fusible might go away. contact them and find out.

Prism99 08-13-2010 08:26 AM

I don't know if fusible batting could stand up to machine washing. Also, washing alone may not remove the odor; cat urine is just about the worst for persistent odor (that can return when the material gets damp).

What worked best for us with a bad cat accident was F.O.N. (Feline Odor Neutralizer). You would spray this on until the fusible is saturated, then let it dry naturally. You could test it on a small piece of the fusible first to make sure the fusible remains viable.

oatw13 08-13-2010 08:30 AM

How frustrating!

I don't think I would wash it. I also think you would damage the fusible part.

Try sprinkling baking soda on the area and putting it out in direct sunlight for a few hours then shake the baking soda off. This may help reduce the odor enough so you could work with it.

Although I am sure the smell would come back out (and possibly be set in) when you ironed the fusible fleece.

Good luck.

kathy 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

if it's 987F it will not wash out but I think I would just soak and spin, not agitate, the agitation may pull the fleece fibers apart.

Candace 08-13-2010 08:58 AM

I'd throw it out. My nose is super sensitive. I wouldn't risk putting it in a quilt.

wvdek 08-13-2010 09:00 AM

I'm not worried about the odors, I can get those out with Clorox 2 and Oxyclean. DD has a cat with urinary incontinents(sp) and she has no problem getting it out her bedding and blankets.
Yes, it is the 987.
Ok, guess I will e-mail company when I get time. Thanks all.
Since I am spitting nails, I should go out and help DH put up facia board on the garage, right? :evil:

Lori S 08-13-2010 09:01 AM

I don't know ....even if I did manage to get the odor out my brain would always know it was there ... real or imagined odor.

ckcowl 08-13-2010 09:04 AM

try some febreeze on it to get rid of the smell so you can work with it. water will wash away the fusable part, or you could wash and dry it then iron a different fusable to it, but seems like baking soda or febreeze would take care of it till you can get it washed.

pamesue 08-13-2010 09:30 AM

me...I'd throw it out!