Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewash thrift store shirts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewash-thrift-store-shirts-t114242.html)

susanwilley 04-07-2011 02:03 PM

YESSSSS!!!!! Who knows who or what has been touching them in those stores!! Always wash them first thing!

BrendaY 04-07-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
Getting ready to cut up some thrift store shirts for a quilt and am wondering should I prewash the shirts. Kinda think that I should but wouldn't they have already be washed and shrunk?

Sheila

I googled "how to clean thrift store clothing" and found numerous ideas.. the one that seemed best to me was to "use an enzyme cleaner along with your detergent". Others said to use vinegar with the detergent, then rinse the items 5 times! There doesn't seem to be an easy way unless you just wash in hot water and put them in the sun to dry.. hope this helps!

Krystyna 04-08-2011 02:39 AM

YES!!!! One word: bedbugs! :shock:

Aurora 04-08-2011 03:00 AM

Getting ready to cut up some thrift store shirts for a quilt and am wondering should I prewash the shirts. Kinda think that I should but wouldn't they have already be washed and shrunk?

Sheila

I always wash the shirts I get. Then I use a seam ripper to take them apart. I remove the buttons and save them.

MissJMac 04-08-2011 03:26 AM

Prewash anything that comes from a thrift shop, just saying...

brushandthimble 04-08-2011 03:29 AM

Before I even read the replies, I would say YES!

ckcowl 04-08-2011 03:31 AM

YES!!! anything you pick up in a thrift shop should be washed as soon as you get it home- you never know what germs/bugs may be in anything used- sometimes people have boxes of clothes/fabrics in their garages for years before donating them-
everything should be washed before being used-for safety sake

Sheila

kuntryquilter 04-08-2011 03:40 AM

Mine too. Can't stand the thrift store smell on them.

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Sheila

Thrift store stuff goes straight to the washer at my house, and a nice hot dryer.

Lilrain 04-08-2011 04:57 AM

yes

frostbaa 04-08-2011 04:58 AM

You should always wash anything that you bring home as soon as you walk through the door. Those stores can not wash all those clothes, they are just thinking that people would surely wash them before they donate, but you cant be sure of that. There is chance that you could bring critters home in all that stuff. (roachs, bedbugs..). I go straight to the washer before I even take that stuff out of the bag. Just dump it in.