Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewashing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewashing-batting-t180048.html)

carol45 02-20-2012 09:35 AM

Prewashing batting

I like to preshrink batting, and I had a problem doing it in my dryer. So what I did recently is soak Hobbs 80/20 in hot water in the bathtub. I tried very hard not to stretch it at all when i dried it. However, it measured 125" x 126" before I soaked it, and it measures 136" x 136" now. How is that possible?

QuiltE 02-20-2012 09:37 AM

Then I guess you stretched it!

carol45 02-20-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4991710)
Then I guess you stretched it!

Actually I've had it happen before as well, but I really don't believe I stretched it--yes, yes, I know it's bigger. What I'm worried about is that it will shrink when it's in a quilt. What do you think? What can I do more besides soaking it in hot water?

Lori S 02-20-2012 10:12 AM

When using the bathtub method... use a plastic laundry basket to remove it. I use my washer .. and soak overnight.. then spin.. then gently remove and place in the dryer. Most of the shrinkage takes place in the dryer.
You could try re- shrinking to get the batting back to its "final" state. I would be cautious that any stretching you did will revert the first washing/drying.

valleyquiltermo 02-20-2012 10:13 AM

You know I never pre-shrink my batting in any way shape or form. Never have any trouble with it.

QuiltE 02-20-2012 10:13 AM

Did you measure the 125x126? or was that the size on the package?
Perhaps it came larger that the package said?

Perhaps call the Hobbs 1-800# to tell them your concerns and ask your questions.

Tartan 02-20-2012 10:18 AM

I like the little bit of shrinkage I get when a quilt is washed. I also like to use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt for machine quilting. It is water soluable so if I washed it, no fusible which defeats the point in using it. I don't know why your batt has grown unless the hot water relaxed the fibers? I think you need to do a few experiments to see if it will shrink again. Cut a couple of 8 inch quilt sandwiches and quilt them with the same pattern. Wash one that you didn't pre-shrink/stretch the batt and one that the batt stretched in it. Re-measure them both to see if they are still 8 inches after washing and drying and go with what look you like best. Good luck!

yngldy 02-20-2012 11:37 AM

I heard that the shrinkage in fabric happens in the last 10 minutes-ish of drying. Since batting is a fiber also, would spraying the batting with water til wet (but not as much as actually soaking in water) and putting it in a hot dryer do about the same as actually washing it? I also like the pucker so I haven't tried the method, but it seems if it weren't so wet, it would not stretch so much when handled.

babyboomerquilter 02-20-2012 12:11 PM

I have never prewashed my batting before. It sounds risky, but it looks like the gals have and it sounds like it works.

carol45 02-20-2012 12:56 PM

The starting dimensions, I measured, so it did somehow stretch. I'm taking yngldy's advice and spritzing it with water and putting it in the dryer. If that doesn't work, before I try the other suggestions, which were really good, I will call Hobbs and see what they suggest.
I'm making a quilt that I don't want to look antique--it's kind of modern, so I want the batting preshrunk.