Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   prewashing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewashing-fabrics-t143521.html)

roselady 08-08-2011 09:20 AM

I always prewash, and I still get the crinkle look unless I wash (soak) the batting also. I have had fabric disintegrate while prewashing...I was very happy that I hadn't already sewn it into a quilt and THEN had it fall apart.

Farm Quilter 08-08-2011 09:21 AM

I pre-wash everything. I can't stand the pesticides and chemicals they use on them in the warehouses. If a piece is a 1/2 yard or larger, I fold it into a square that is fat quarter sized and pin the edges using safety pins that won't rust. This keeps everything from getting tangled and having all those threads...especially if you can get those cut edges on the inside of the folds.

Farm Quilter 08-08-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Yes, everyone has their own opinion on this. I have to admit that I am baffled by the people who will prewash because they don't want to be exposed to chemicals but will still use that spray basting aerosol.

Different chemicals and I know what I am putting on there. Also, I only use it on the borders when the quilt is on my longarm if I need it to keep them from being wavy. I am not going to be handling it a great deal after that and my allergy triggers are not impacted by 505 like they are from the pesticides and other chemicals in my material.

bearisgray 08-08-2011 09:51 AM

It really does not take all that long to overcast/serge the raw edges of FQ and up sized pieces of fabric.

Probably less time than cutting off those threads that frayed off - plus one only "loses" about 1/8 inch of fabric on each end versus up to an inch when it frays.

Painiacs 08-08-2011 11:01 AM

ive done both!1

Retired Quilter 08-08-2011 03:59 PM

I usually wash fabric. Diagonally clip the corners on the cut ends. Very little raveling.

auntpiggylpn 08-08-2011 06:49 PM

I pre wash due to allergies to all the chemicals that are in the fabric from manufacturing. My hands just can't take them!!!

maktub 08-09-2011 01:26 AM

Wow, thanks for all the feedback on this, and all the other tips.

When I make dolls clothes I normally prewash as it gives me a better idea on how the fabric will drape/fall.
Now that I am planning on making the Smurg (daughter) a special wardrobe for her doll, I also want to make her a dolly couch (with pillows) and a bed, with a quilt! Hehehe this chicken thinks I might get over the fright of quilting starting really small.

if that goes well I might make Smurg a quilt for her bed.

M

P.S Smurg is not her real name it's just what we call her

katkat1946 08-09-2011 04:14 AM

I always prewash and machine dry to hopefully prevent bleeding of colors on a finished quilt and also to avoid having the fabric shrink once sewn; a friend recently suggested using the delicate machine cycle which I've been doing since then - much less raveling on the ends! I read that someone starches after washing. I often starch as I'm using it but try not to store it with starch on it as I've read several times that this encourages insects who like to nibble on the starch. eewwwww

Rumbols 08-09-2011 04:53 AM

I pre-wash and starch as I use it. Every time I used fabric without pr-washing, I had a disaster - bleeding, puckering from shrinking, and reactions to chemicals. I learned my lesson.