Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewound bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewound-bobbins-t238812.html)

michelleoc 01-14-2014 09:11 AM

Prewound bobbins

What is your thought on these? Do you buy them? What is the thinking on this, other than not having to wind the bobbin yourself? I keep seeing them and wonder if I'm missing out on something!

PaperPrincess 01-14-2014 09:20 AM

I use them (NEBS) for machine embroidery. The ones I use are wound with very thin, like 90 or 100 wt poly thread. There's lots of yardage so they last a long time. I'm not sure if these are the ones you are thinking of. I would not use them to piece, because I piece with cotton.

Nammie to 7 01-14-2014 10:08 AM

I have never used them-- figure it is just as easy to wind my own bobbin with thread to match my project.

Charming 01-14-2014 10:15 AM

I have used NEBS prewound bobbins for all my piecing and embroidery for the last 3 years and love it. I have washed all my quilts sooooo many times and they are all ok so just kept using them. I do like the fact they last forever because of how thin they are and convenient if you piece a lot. Give them a try and see if you like them as I know of some people don't like using them at all.

oh munner 01-14-2014 11:56 AM

In my mind, pre-wound bobbins fall into the same category as pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...... come on, how lazy can we get?

BellaBoo 01-14-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner (Post 6512433)
In my mind, pre-wound bobbins fall into the same category as pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...... come on, how lazy can we get?

I started using prwounds and won't wind my own much anymore at all. It's like spending time peeling and chopping an onion or buy them pre chopped. I'll pick the pre chopped because who chopped the onion won't alter how the recipe tastes. I found that pre wound bobbins have excellent tension, much better then any I can wind on my machine. There is more thread on the bobbin too. I buy prefills from Superior Thread and the Glide Delights from Fil Tec. When I bought my first set of prefilled bobbins I felt guilty using them! How silly could I be? It's bobbins, no different then the chopped onion. LOL

momto5 01-14-2014 05:04 PM

I use the Fil-Tec Magna Glides on my LA exclusively...I have had no problems with them and my quilts have no "pokies" using them....they also seem to last longer than when I wind my own.

KarenR 01-14-2014 05:08 PM

I love the prewound bobbins. One of my machines the bobbin winder is broken so this solves the problem.

I get the 100% cotton ones from the quilt store.

Sewnoma 01-14-2014 05:16 PM

I use them in my embroidery machine. I bought a whole mess of them (I think I got a gross; 144 of them) on Amazon for cheaper than I could buy that many empty bobbins. My embroidery machine uses the same bobbins as my 2 "backup" machines so I can use the bobbins again in most of my machines. (Unfortunately not my main machine though)

I wind my own for quilting, though, because then I'm using lots of different colors (and I don't know if anybody even carries pre-wound Janome bobbins). But for embroidery I only use white so it made sense to buy a pile of pre-filled ones. And despite them being super cheap they seem to work just fine - zero complaints so far. (But I don't use them a LOT; I think I've only gone through 5 or 6 so far so there could be surprises ahead, you never know. But I pretty much have a lifetime supply at this rate even if a few are baddies.)

lovequilts 01-14-2014 06:22 PM

I have been using them for years. More thread on them that when I wind bobbins. I love them.