Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewound bobbins vs other (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewound-bobbins-vs-other-t108925.html)

Tudey 03-20-2011 07:16 PM

I have found prewounds (92 yds) to be wound far tighter than I can wind them....'cause I don't get anything CLOSE to that much on the bobbins I wind myself and therefore, I have to change them much less frequently. And I don't have to use my cone or spooled thread in my bobbins.

Tootsie 03-20-2011 07:28 PM

I use them for embroidery b/c there's so much thread on them and I don't have to change bobbins as often. Bobbin thread is also thinner than regular thread so there isn't as much build up.

I buy the cardboard sided bobbins for my machines by the gross, and many times there are excellent buys. This weekend Shoppers Rule had them on sale for under $30 for 144 bobbins. If I didn't have a couple gross already, I probably would have bought more :-)

Dee 03-20-2011 08:27 PM

I use pre wound bobbins for embroidery work.

snicktrain 03-20-2011 10:17 PM

I bought prewound because I wanted the bobbins, Also. Two birds, one stone so to speak. Plus saved a lot of time. I also have prewound for my embroidery machine.

daisylil 03-21-2011 12:22 AM

Talking about the bobbin thingy we dont get the prewound here , but thinking on ,,,,,,,a 1000 gutterman thread here is close to 12 dollars :)

quiltmaker 03-21-2011 02:48 AM

I used prewounds before I got my bobbin winder many years ago....winding them was a nightmare for me...now it's a breeze with my Bengal winder and actually fun. I also envied all my friends that never had problems winding on their machines but it was an awful experience for me. Guess I was just one of those machine bobbin winder disasters and believe me I had lots of help and tried over and over again...it just did not ever create smooth, even bobbins so I guess you could have called me machine bobbin challenged.

Yellow Rose 03-21-2011 04:02 AM

Keep in mind, sometimes the prewound bobbins don't fit right into your sewing machine.

I have an older model Singer and the prewound bobbins didn't sit snuggly into my machine. I complained to my service provider my machine was skipping stitches. After looking at the machine he told me the bobbin I had was the wrong size. Once I put the right bobbin in, no skipping.

applique 03-21-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I buy the prewounds for embroidery bobbin thread. They are wound much tighter, more even and I find I go through fewer bobbin changes. For my regular piecing and machine quilting, I wind my own bobbins but I did purchase a bobbin winder (not that sidewinder thing) that feeds vertically and winds almost as tight as the commercial prewounds.

It all comes down to what you care to spend your time and money for I guess.

Some LAs use the prewound because of the very touchy tension issues.

janb 03-21-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I agree. I wind 10 or so bobbins at a time. I mostly use cream or gray, because I do scrappy quilt. Winding bobbins is just part of the progress like putting on binding. I love the whole process:)

Just exactly my feelings.

Hosta 03-21-2011 05:36 AM

I buy the prewound bobbins for my Janome embroidery machine and then use the empty ones so I don't have to buy new ones for my regular Janome, I have found when they are on sale the price is comparable and Janome has to have a certain size bobbin