Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   price of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-fabric-t47919.html)

stchn4livn 06-01-2010 04:03 AM

I just read that our local electric prices will be going down due to reduced demand. Now I think it has a lot to do with everyone conserving as much as they can. I have everything but one clock on switches cause if I am not using it it doesn't need electricity. What if we did the same with fabric? Maybe if we all limit our purchases then they will have no choice but to lower prices and keep the quality. I look at the prices for notions and I am glad I bought them years ago. Consumers need to show companys who really has the power. Something to consider.

RatherB Quilting 06-01-2010 09:22 AM

You are talking to a bunch of fabri-holics here! Limiting fabric purchases?? Is there such thing as Fabri-holics anonymous? "Hi, my name is RatherB and I have a fabric habit."
:)
(I think you are right though...if it's possible...supply meets demand):)

JJs 06-01-2010 09:47 AM

I have severely cut back - for several reasons...
1. prices
2. I have a great stash
3. I don't want to die and leave piles and piles of fabric

I finally decided that I was actually going to USE what I have - and believe me, that's plenty for boocoodles of quilts...

I suppose that when I surface and want to buy fabric again it will be so ridiculously high priced that I won't buy anymore...

luv-e 06-01-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
You are talking to a bunch of fabri-holics here! Limiting fabric purchases?? Is there such thing as Fabri-holics anonymous? "Hi, my name is RatherB and I have a fabric habit."
:)
(I think you are right though...if it's possible...supply meets demand):)

ditto but lol lol lol and true

ScrapQuilter 06-01-2010 10:09 AM

Sorry girls........... I know I will be leaving piles & boxes of fabric when I go........ granddaughter will be happy... lol How could a quilter leave this world with out leaving a good stash....

Lori S 06-01-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapQuilter
Sorry girls........... I know I will be leaving piles & boxes of fabric when I go........ granddaughter will be happy... lol How could a quilter leave this world with out leaving a good stash....

I intend to take my stash with me!! Line the coffin !,stuff the pillow !, put it all "in with me"!.They might need a super sized casket! Cause I am sure , I will keep quilting where ever I go. And I might need some to trade with other quilters.

Lori S 06-01-2010 11:12 AM

I could be pursaded into a Fabric Purchase Strike/Boycott. There would need to be some time frames of when to boycott . I could go a few months without a purchase. It would be good for me to use what I have. My only fear is that it could hurt the small indepentent quilt shops , to the point they go out of business and all we are left with is JoAnn's.

QBeth 06-01-2010 11:34 AM

So many LQSs have gone out of business in my area that I try very hard to support the two that are left. Especially the one that services my machines and is always happy to answer questions or give advice. When I go to Joann's now, I do my very best not to be tempted by some pretty fabric (which I know will be of inferior quality anyways). Heaven knows i don't need more fabric. But, when I go to my favorite LQS, I ALWAYS leave with some yardage. Two reasons: support the shop and, I just have to have it!

DebraK 06-01-2010 11:52 AM

I never pay full price as it is. I alway buy my fabric on sale.

mamaw 06-01-2010 01:57 PM

Probably most of us could sew for quite a while with just what we have. It is so hard to say "no" to a pretty fabric, especially when you know it won't be around for long. You certainly do have a good point there though!