Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Price of Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/price-fabric-t67193.html)

Nolee 09-28-2010 06:49 AM

I went to the local quilt shop here in Georgia (we are visiting) and I noticed the bolts ranged from $8.00 to $10.00 in price. I asked 'why the difference?' and the owner told me that nothing will be $8.00 again, that the companies now add on a price for the cardboard bolt and shipping plus the bolts are smaller so that they can get more money when you have to order more than one. She told me to grab as many $8.00 per yard fabrics as I like because I'd never see it again. I obeyed!! :lol:

Any of you find similar situations near you?

sueisallaboutquilts 09-28-2010 06:55 AM

Your parents must have loved raising such an obedient daughter lol

Grama Lehr 09-28-2010 07:36 AM

My quilt store said prices were going up because of a poor cotton crop this year. But, why should it effect the cost of the fabric already in his store??? :roll:

dglvr 09-28-2010 07:40 AM

My LQS has stayed with same prices for the past 6 years.
Her fabrics are $8.99 a yard. She is really trying to keep it at that but yes the rising costs to her are going up. She is talking about raising the price a little but really trying to keep it the same. I hope she can but if not I totally understand. Everything has to go up but wages. :shock:

fabric_fancy 09-28-2010 07:41 AM

one of the LQS here took advantage of the price increases and raised everything in the store to $11 a yard and the batiks are $14 a yard.

some of those bolts have been in the store for 7 years.

its the only store in the area that did that - everyone else keeps the old bolts at the old price and new stuff at the new price.

nwm50 09-28-2010 07:45 AM

my thoughts exactly...grama Lehr !!

sueisallaboutquilts 09-28-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
My quilt store said prices were going up because of a poor cotton crop this year. But, why should it effect the cost of the fabric already in his store??? :roll:

Right!!! Now, we are a crazed bunch but we aren't stupid!! hahaha :D

Favorite Fabrics 09-28-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
... the owner told me ... that the companies now add on a price for the cardboard bolt and shipping plus the bolts are smaller so that they can get more money when you have to order more than one.

No, the fabric companies don't charge for the cardboard! (Though I'm sure the tiny cost for the board does get added into the price somewhere.)

They always DID charge for shipping. (Except for Moda.)

The bolts are smaller, but not for the reason told to you. They're smaller so that the shops can stock a greater variety of fabrics with the same outlay of money. As in, if the bolts are 12 yards instead of 15, a shop can afford to buy five bolts instead of four.

quiltluvr 09-28-2010 09:52 AM

And I bet that shop owner has a bridge to sell too.............

Never ceases to amaze me what some will say to circumvent the actual truth. Now there's a novel idea----to tell the truth!

I think it would be fair to say also that they just might be repeating what's been told to them and figured that it made sense so just pass it along. :?:

Char 09-28-2010 10:52 AM

Those of us who have size able stashes will be able to keep on stitching and working down the fabric collection we have stored up! :? :? :?