Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing for feather weights? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-feather-weights-t106137.html)

Maia B 03-08-2011 06:31 PM

I paid $300-$500 for mine, two all cleaned up, serviced and ready to sew, one was a Centennial in excellent condition. I rarely catch a bargain and I just wanted them. I did pay $40K less for my house than my neighbors' identical house bought a few months later, so no complaints. I'd say if you see a working, ok looking FW for $200, grab it.

Divokittysmom 03-08-2011 06:44 PM

I thought the prices were getting a bit expensive also. That's another reason why I'd like to get 1 now instead of waiting. I would like mine to be nice n clean and in really good working order also so I don't mind paying a little extra for that.

deema 03-08-2011 07:02 PM

I paid $200, including shipping for my featherweight a few weeks ago. It was in working order, but the "guts" needed cleaning. Decent cosmetic shape, with a case and attachments all in good condition. I love it! I'm about to start piecing my first quilt top with it, probably tomorrow, now that I've finally got a start on cutting for my customer quilt. Oh yeah, and I found it on a craigslist type of website here in Canada.

qltndog 03-08-2011 07:10 PM

I was on shopgoodwill.com the other day and they had some there that were $100-300. Not sure of the condition but worth looking at.

dreamer2009 03-08-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by qltndog
I was on shopgoodwill.com the other day and they had some there that were $100-300. Not sure of the condition but worth looking at.

those usually end up selling for more than they are worth !!
shipping & handling they charge is outrageous !!
I stopped buying the last time they raised their shipping rates; just don't need anything that much.

akrogirl 03-08-2011 07:22 PM

One in good condition, with few scratches and dings, is nearly always going to fetch a good price. It is possible to get one with a little more wear for around $200.

Unfortunately, there are rarely any great bargains locally - most people know the worth of their machines and price accordingly. Still, a few people do manage to get lucky on occasion.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-08-2011 07:50 PM

I got a nice one on Ebay for 212.00 with the case and lots of extras. I think I lucked out on that one.
The original case makes the price go up but I love mine.
I would like a white one but they are too high for me.
I got a 301 which I love with the case on Ebay also for about 80.00
I've noticed those are going higher now than just a few months ago.
Wish people would stop hiking up the prices! lol
Right now I'm looking for a 15 :D
I need an intervention!!!!!!!!

TexasSunshine 03-08-2011 08:00 PM

I bought a featherweight for $50, the case and attachments are all in good shape, just needed a good cleaning. Also bought a treadle machine for $50, bought a belt and a small part for it, sews great.

lclang 03-08-2011 08:05 PM

Keep an eye on Craig's List, the For Sale list in your local newspaper, garage sales, and estate sales. My daughter bought one at a garage sale for $5.00. They can be priced anywhere from that to $1500.00 if you want a reconditioned and repainted one in specialty colors.

akrogirl 03-08-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I got a nice one on Ebay for 212.00 with the case and lots of extras. I think I lucked out on that one.
The original case makes the price go up but I love mine.
I would like a white one but they are too high for me.
I got a 301 which I love with the case on Ebay also for about 80.00
I've noticed those are going higher now than just a few months ago.
Wish people would stop hiking up the prices! lol
Right now I'm looking for a 15 :D
I need an intervention!!!!!!!!

I still regret passing up on a true white machine in absolutely mint condition, Alas, it went for just under $1,000!!!