Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-quilt-t175175.html)

Hammockhanger 01-10-2012 05:07 PM

Pricing a quilt?

I am looking for suggestions on pricing a quilt I have been asked to make. My friend says she has a list of rates by categories. Ie: $ per pieced block, $ per appliquéd block, $ per embroidered block, $ per borders, etc, etc.

The quilt I am making will have 4 pieced blocks, 1 embroidered block, 4 appliqued blocks, 1 pieced border, 2-3 plain borders. It will be a lap size quilt with 9, 12" blocks. The fabric is a specialty fabric that is no longer available. The quilting will be a simple meander.

What do you think would be a fair price?

How do you normal come about a quilt price.

Thanks for your input.

delma_paulk 01-10-2012 05:42 PM

I can't help you as I usually give myquilts to family members. I would like to watch this thread in case I decide to sell some of them.

Wishing you luck,

delma

Up North 01-10-2012 05:56 PM

Minimum of $200.00 is my estimate if you are providing backing batting sandwiching, quilting and piecing.

Hammockhanger 01-12-2012 04:38 AM

I am thinking around $250.00.

Was really trying to see how others came about a price.

mpspeedy 01-12-2012 04:58 AM

I would start at 10 cents a square inch plus the cost of the fabric at a minimum. I charge at least that much just to handquilt.
A person who is not a quilter has no idea what is involved.
The part I like about quilting is the actual handquilting process. I only do the piecing and applique because I like the finished product. My favorite is wholecloth.
If the same person needed work done on their car and you were a mechanic would you do the work for less than you would charge a stranger?

Hammockhanger 01-14-2012 05:01 AM

I did what a friend did and broke it down to blocks, binding, batting, thread, detail, etc. Using that as my guide line the quilt I have designed would be 44x44 with pieced, embroidered and appliquéd blocks. The price is $300.

I put it forth to the lady requesting the quilt. If that is too much I can cut back on some of the details and shrink the blocks. I am waiting for her response.

Drue 01-14-2012 05:23 AM

I recently sold a throw size quilt (57" x 80") and it was a "Snails Trail" . I charged the price of the fabric, batting, backing, thread plus .01.4 cents a sq. inch to quilt. The fabric is no longer available. I had the top made when she saw it and insisted on having it. When I finished , I presented her with a detailed list of costs....$250.00
You just can't make up for your time and talents. she was a little suprised at the price, but after viewing the statement she agreed it was a good deal for her.

ptquilts 01-14-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Drue (Post 4873061)
I recently sold a throw size quilt (57" x 80") and it was a "Snails Trail" . I charged the price of the fabric, batting, backing, thread plus .01.4 cents a sq. inch to quilt. The fabric is no longer available. I had the top made when she saw it and insisted on having it. When I finished , I presented her with a detailed list of costs....$250.00
You just can't make up for your time and talents. she was a little suprised at the price, but after viewing the statement she agreed it was a good deal for her.

you mean she didn't know the price when she agreed to buy it? that could have resulted in an unpleasant surprise for both of you. She must have really wanted it!

ghostrider 01-14-2012 06:18 AM

Asking price also depends on the quality of your workmanship, not just cost of materials and labor (which is what that friend is calling 'price by categories').

Sewfine 01-14-2012 06:43 AM

Very educational.