Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-quilt-t240808.html)

verna2197 02-10-2014 01:34 PM

Pricing a Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Sure hope someone on here can help me. I have a quilt that someone wants to purchase and I have no ideal what to charge. It is King Size, made from reproductive vintage material. Can someone please give me a general ideal what to charge. Here is a picture of it. Thanks so much for everyones help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461592[/ATTACH]

stillclock 02-10-2014 01:37 PM

i am always one for getting a lot for our work. some formulas say take your materials cost and multiply them by 2.5.

i charge $1000 plus materials at least. i make about 4 quilts a year on commission, or have for the last two years anyway.

aileen

LynnVT 02-10-2014 01:38 PM

Pricing is not my strong point, but you need to consider the number of hours you put into it, and the cost of the fabric. Will you be quilting it or just selling the top? Complexity of the quilting also needs to be considered, along with batting and backing cost. I'm sure someone will have some guidelines for you. I'll be interested in hearing what is suggested. Oh, your location is also a factor. I think folks in some areas can get way more for their work than those in other areas. City vs country could be a factor. Good luck!

carolaug 02-10-2014 01:39 PM

all depends what you want and what they are willing to pay.

ManiacQuilter2 02-10-2014 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 6567055)

I agree. Times are really tough now a days When I worked on commission quilt, I got $8.00 an hour plus materials. Think it normally took me about 40 hours to piece and quilt a Queen size quilt. I always made a big effort to get quilting items on sale to pass on the savings. Good Luck !!

dunster 02-10-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 6567055)

Couldn't have said it any better.

jkaczor19 02-10-2014 04:08 PM

I would start by calculating your materials cost (fabric, thread, batting, etc.), then move on to how much you want to charge for your time. As others have noted, this varies widely. Is this a person that buys handcrafted items? Before I spent a ton of time figuring out how much to charge, I would test the waters to make sure they aren't expecting made in China prices.

hsquiltingmom 02-10-2014 04:48 PM

When I price mine, I figure out how much fabric and what it costs. I was told that even if I got the fabric on sale to charge full retail price (That way, if someone else were to want one, and you couldn't get it on sale, you are still able to charge the same price). I figure out approximately how long it will take (I have started keeping a log), and then I find out how they want it batted (again, I charge full price, just in case I can't get it on sale), and how they want it quilted. I find out what my LQS would charge or a LA would charge to quilt it for me, just in case, I can't do it on my machine.

I have looked on etsy when trying to price a quilt, and the prices vary, so that is a tough way to decide on pricing.