Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pricing for Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pricing-quilts-t11808.html)

GrandmaLinda 10-02-2008 07:15 AM

I have a friend whos Mother passed away this summer and she had many of her cotton house dress that she would like me to make into quilts. We picked a strip pattern and the quilts will be about 45" square. They are tied not quilted. My question is how much do I charge. I took the dresses apart, cut them into strips, pieced the quilts and put them together with hand embroidered inscriptions. I want to be fair but have many hours of work into this project (14 quilts in all). Thanks for any help anyone can give me in reaching a fair price for my work.

Kyiav10 10-02-2008 08:04 AM

Oh, my. That sound like a lot of work. Unfortunately I don't have any idea. Maybe 50-75 / quilt???

Kyia

mrsj82 10-02-2008 08:53 AM

I usually charge about $75 a quilt for a twin. So if you want to be fair, maybe take it down to $50 a quilt. That's a lot of work.

Good luck.

sewjoyce 10-02-2008 09:40 AM

$50-$65 sounds good for each. That was a lot of work :!:

nor'easter 10-02-2008 10:41 AM

I would start with $50, then increase it because you had to deconstruct the dresses before you could cut them and add some more for the hand work, depending on how much you embroidered. Somewhere between $50 and $65, but be aware that would make the cost $700 to $900 for your friend. Did you discuss price at all beforehand? Sometimes friendship trumps fair.

jljack 10-02-2008 07:51 PM

Hi - I had a similar issue - ended up charging $40 for a quilt about that size. Friendship was also in the mix.

nanabirdmo 10-02-2008 08:40 PM

i have sort of the same delimma. my cousin asked me to make 4 quilts by xmas. so i gave her the price right away and she gave me the go ahead. it is hard to price hand work people don't realize how many hours go into the construction of a quilt. i basically am charging her for the materials, including thread, batting, prewound bobbins, and of course fabric. but as for getting paid for labor. good luck. unless you make a name for yourself as a quilter the price won't reflect the amount of time spent on a project. :x

GrandmaLinda 10-06-2008 05:13 AM

Thanks for all the info - guess I will have to think about what to charge but this gives me a a base line.

lvtoquilt 06-10-2009 08:14 AM

I am also trying to price a quilt I just completed for a girl I work with. It is a memory quilt I made from her grandparents clothing. I had to cut the clothing, she ironed it, then I cut it into squares. The finished size is 48" X 56" (rag quilt). I have no idea how much to charge. It took a lot of hours to prepare the fabric. She also wants me to make 3 more memory quilts. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

kluedesigns 06-10-2009 10:07 AM

when i do work for my friends i only charge the actually cost of the things that i used to put the quilt together.