Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printed Panel FMQ Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printed-panel-fmq-help-t316955.html)

Tamme 11-30-2021 05:27 AM

Printed Panel FMQ Help

1 Attachment(s)
I have a nasty habit of working with panels a lot! I fall in love with the scene and can't resist! AND, I always (usually) run into the same problem every time . . . I draw a blank with the quilting designs! Borders aren't usually any problem but the panels themselves usually have me stumped. I find myself in that position yet again!

I've quilted around the animals and the snow at the bottom but am having a problem with what to do to the left of the buck's antlers.

Attachment 636620Attachment 636621

I suppose outlining the clouds and trees will work. The animals all lend themselves to thread painting but that is WAY above my paygrade!

Any ideas are appreciated!

Tamme

Karamarie 11-30-2021 06:13 AM

You are doing fine so far. I also love working with panels especially as I have hunters in my family. Like you have done already, outlining the animals is good. I have also stippled around the background of the panel so the animals just sort puff up some, not FMQ them at all. I also just meander over the entire piece. Whatever works for you. Maybe you will get some other ideas that I will be watching for also. Please share when done.

cat-on-a-mac 11-30-2021 06:37 AM

You could just do parallel vertical lines, down to where you have other stitching. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. That would help add even more contrast between the background and the animals.

sewingsuz 11-30-2021 12:03 PM

Good idea for what cathy said and I would do some zigg zag on the trees . Looks great. I also love panels.

platyhiker 11-30-2021 08:55 PM

Doing McTavishing would be great to give a sense of snow and/or wind swirling around. Here is a great video that shows McTavishing with lots of tips.

Tamme 12-01-2021 04:57 AM

I love McTavishing. This quilt is wall hanging for a niece who is a twin. For her sister I did a wall hanging out of the Catitude collection and quilted it in McTavishing. Was tons of fun and I think it turned out pretty well (1st attempt at McTavishing.) I was hoping to come up with something different for this one. I tried to post a picture and keep getting "Upload Failed" message. Not sure what's up with that. I uploaded the file in the previous message.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Wish I had reached out before I started the outline thing. Now, I feels a should keep it somewhat consistent. I'll ponder. If I can figure out my problem with pictures, I'll post a progress report!

juliasb 12-01-2021 05:01 AM

Looks like you are doing a great job so far. I would do bubble or pebbles around the antlers. You may even consider outlining the antlers first then fill in with pebbles. A wonderful panel to work with.