Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing on Fabric Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-fabric-question-t66292.html)

Marquilt 09-22-2010 08:07 PM

I tried printing out something today on the inkjet fabric I got from EQ some time ago. The color reproduction was great, and when I soaked it in water as instructed, I was happy to find that there was no particular color loss.

But the fabric itself is so stiff! I had figured on machine quilting the piece in which I intend to use it, but still, no one could hand quilt through this stuff without making a mess of it, and it's so stiff that the usual safety pin basting method creates puckers, and it seems to retain even tiny holes, so I have to wonder what machine quilting is going to do to it. Do any of you know some way to soften this stuff up?

I have the "regular cotton inkjet" fabric (the cheapest stuff *g*), which has a thread count of 200. The two "premium" choices are 240 and 283. Does that mean they're even stiffer?

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/Printing/Fabric.asp

If you've used this in your own work, what needle and thread sizes did you use to machine quilt on it? Are there other fabric choices out there for inkjet printing that have a softer hand?

Qbee 09-22-2010 08:11 PM

I have no idea about printable fabric but with thread count for like sheets and stuff, the higher the thread count, the softer and more smooth it is Be interesting to see what those who have used the EQ paper say. :D

janedee 09-22-2010 08:27 PM

I have used quite a few different types of photo fabric and find they are all stiff but I only use it for labels - did a wall hanging a while ago and used bubblejet 2000 - very pleased with colour etc. and of course as it was done on white cotton was easy to quilt - not much help to you I'm afraid but I think it is a common problem!!

Sadiemae 09-22-2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by janedee
I have used quite a few different types of photo fabric and find they are all stiff but I only use it for labels - did a wall hanging a while ago and used bubblejet 2000 - very pleased with colour etc. and of course as it was done on white cotton was easy to quilt - not much help to you I'm afraid but I think it is a common problem!!

I did the same for labels, and had the same result.

ktbb 09-22-2010 09:58 PM

I've used printed treasures brand and it also is a little stiff, but I don't quilt on it - I SID around the edge and leave the printed picture thread free. I'm guessing that if you do quilt it, whatever holes are made will work themselves out after it is washed...but that might be worth a trial.

VickyS 09-22-2010 10:08 PM

Did you try pressing the fabric? Some of the threads at this site have indicated you need to iron the fabric after washing it to get the backing to release (remove the freezer paper type backing)?

Could it be something like that?

seasaw2mch 09-22-2010 10:30 PM

I have done several quilts with the printable fabric. You said you rinsed yours in water?

After you print the picture, peel the backing off and then iron on the back side of the FABRIC ONLY (not the paper) to heat set it. I use the hottest cotton setting. If you heat set it with the paper on, you are setting the wax into the fabric. The wax is what holds the fabric onto the paper. This could be why it's so stiff.

Then I hand wash mine in cold water, like use your kitchen sink, add a little mild dish soap to the water swish it around really good. Then rinse it in cold water to be sure no colors run. DO NOT wring it out but use your fingers to sort of push the extra water out then lay it on a towel to dry. You may want to square it up a bit while it's wet. I then iron it again from the back side.

now as far as being stiff? I don't think mine was that bad, I have noticed that once you sew it, it does leave needle holes if you have to redo something so you might want to be careful as not to make any mistakes.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

Annya 09-23-2010 01:47 AM

I use the Premium Printable Fabric Sheets from Australia. the fabric is not stiff as you describe. I can give you the email address;
www.accraft.com.au If you look them up and see if their sheets are than better than what you already have.

ckcowl 09-23-2010 01:53 AM

i have found a couple of the ones on the market are quite stiff and very difficult to stitch through...that is one of the reasons i started using my own fabrics instead of wasting my money on pre-packaged...the results just don't seem consistant. i use muslin, washed, dried, no fabric softener. pressed then i press freezer paper to the back cut to printer paper size and run it through...no stiffness, beautiful color, much less expensive. not all of them turn out as stiff as what you have but some.

Annya 09-23-2010 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have found a couple of the ones on the market are quite stiff and very difficult to stitch through...that is one of the reasons i started using my own fabrics instead of wasting my money on pre-packaged...the results just don't seem consistant. i use muslin, washed, dried, no fabric softener. pressed then i press freezer paper to the back cut to printer paper size and run it through...no stiffness, beautiful color, much less expensive. not all of them turn out as stiff as what you have but some.

Can you tell me the name of the solution you use so I can do the same. I would like to do some historical picture quilts with the patterns I have but don't know the name of the product.