Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing on Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-fabric-t44439.html)

The pitz 04-30-2010 11:44 AM

I have used the photo fabric for labels on the backs of my quilts, but is there any way you can print on your own fabric?
If anyone has done this, please share how you prepared your
fabric for the printer. Thank you much.

The pitz

shaverg 04-30-2010 11:46 AM

The main thing is you have to treat it with bubble jet and the rinse that goes with it. Otherwise it will wash out. I use Muslin or any fabric and iron it to freezer paper, cut it to the size your printer takes, usually 8 1/2 x 11 and just run it through like any paper. I load one sheet at a time. Good luck.

The pitz 04-30-2010 11:49 AM

Thank you very much. I will try that next time.

ckcowl 04-30-2010 11:51 AM

wash your fabric first to remove the sizing...do not use any kind of fabric softener, in the wash or dryer...bubble jet is good but not necessarily manditory.
cut freezer paper to the same size as printer paper and iron to the back of the fabric make sure your edges are secure so they do not come up and jam in the printer. let cure/dry at least 24 hours then heat set.
i do this all the time...great fun and i've had great results.
good luck

shaverg 04-30-2010 11:55 AM

ck, what type of printer do you have? I use to do that on quilts I didn't wash and someone told me they would wash out. I tried it sure enough even washing the fabric the colors would go immediately and the black faded a lot. I have tried HP photo and Epson, which is the same type of ink the photo companies use. Epson even washes out, even with heat setting, prewashing.

I talked to Epson, they said they have not come up with a ink that is color fast for fabric yet.

amma 04-30-2010 11:56 AM

When you wash your fabric first, rinse the soap out well in a second rinse cycle, do NOT use fabric softener :wink:

Then pretreat it with bubble jet and let it dry(I let it line dry and then press it) before cutting and ironing it onto freezer paper.

Cut the fabric and freezer paper 9 X 11 1/2 and then iron them together, trim up, this way you will have few/no ravels, you don't want them getting in the printer.

ScrapQuilter 04-30-2010 12:19 PM

I have been ask to take part in a cancer memory quilt in honor of my husband and was thinking of doing a picture.
Boy this info came at just the right time.
Thanks for posting.............

patricej 04-30-2010 01:09 PM

if you search the board (using the search option at the top of the page) on the subject you'll find many of our conversations and lots of useful information. ;-)

The pitz 04-30-2010 03:02 PM

Hi ladies: Boy this is all grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat info. I'm not familiar with bubble jet. Where do I get it? Thanks in advance.

The pitz

earlylace 04-30-2010 04:11 PM

I was told that you have to use an ink jet printer, it will not work with a lazer printer. Lace