Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing on Freezer Paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-freezer-paper-t241869.html)

cindyb 02-24-2014 07:07 AM

Printing on Freezer Paper

I have a roll of freezer paper and I want to use my printer to transfer a pattern on to it. Has anyone done this? Any easy way of cutting it down to the proper size? Special Printer?

I really want this to work as I'm in a guild and need to use this pattern for a lot of members. Help!!

DOTTYMO 02-24-2014 07:10 AM

I should think it depends on how hot the printer gets. I would try an A4 size piece of freeEr paper and put through ensuring the dull side receives the print.

erstan947 02-24-2014 07:16 AM

I just used a paper cutter that I had for scrap booking and cut regular freezer paper to 8.5 x 11. My home computer ink jet printer did a very good job. Make sure to print on the dull side.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2014 08:13 AM

You want to make sure that your printer doesn't get too hot. An ink jet should be OK, but a laser printer or copier is too hot. You will fuse the paper to the printer drum and ruin your printer.

patricej 02-24-2014 08:51 AM

i can run sheets of FP through my laser printer without worry about heat-related issues.
however, if you make your sheets by cutting from a roll of freezer paper, curling will present a bigger challenge than melting.

i flatten my freezer paper by either pressing it to my ironing board first, or by pressing it onto the least expensive muslin i can find.
i start by fusing the FP to the fabric and then cut it into printer size.
you can then run it through a printer either with or without the fabric "attached."
the muslin peels off easily and can be used again and again.
the sheets of FP can also be used several times before they loose their "stickyness."

Kitsie 02-24-2014 08:54 AM

I use an old rotary cutter blade to cut the paper. The paper I used was 18" wide, so I cut 6" strips across the paper, then cut the 6" strips into 3 - 6" squares. Using normal inexpensive copy/printer paper I laid the FP onto the c/p paper, ran a not too hot iron across the top inch of the FP to "fix" it to the c/p paper. One at a time I fed the papers FP side down into my printer and printed the block diagram from my computer.
Have a normal HP printer, scanner, copier with normal ink, etc. No special products are needed.

MaggieBB 02-24-2014 09:50 AM

I have a cannon printer,copier ,scanner and have cut freezer paper the same size as copy paper, just be sure to flatten it well because it will curl and cause amess in your printer.

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 6593128)
I have a roll of freezer paper and I want to use my printer to transfer a pattern on to it. Has anyone done this? Any easy way of cutting it down to the proper size? Special Printer?

I really want this to work as I'm in a guild and need to use this pattern for a lot of members. Help!!

tessagin 02-24-2014 10:05 AM

I cut some freezer paper to size. I have the old big block paper cutter with the big blade on the side. To flatten the papers, I put them between cookie sheets. The metal cools them. Lot easier going through the printer. They curl a little coming out of the printer but not a problem just put them back between or under the cookie sheets until you need them.

Pennyhal 02-24-2014 10:40 AM

I had a problem with the paper curling at the top edge and jamming in the printer. I fixed it by cutting a 1/2 in strip of freezer paper and ironing it to the leading edge on the back side of the sheet so that the leading edge had freezer paper on the top and the bottom. That stiffened the leading edge and got rid of the curl.

kamaiarigby 02-24-2014 10:49 AM

Don't tell my DH but I have ruined 2 printers trying to print onto freezer paper, I will follow this thread with interest, I have now learnt that the freezer paper has to be flat, I will cut some A4 sheets today and place then between to panes of glass for a day