Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Printing Images for Memory Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/printing-images-memory-quilts-t281508.html)

BETTY62 08-21-2016 07:49 AM

Printing Images for Memory Quilts

I want to make a memory quilt that has some wording/lettering on it but I do not think I have a way to print mirror images using my PC or my printer. My PC is a HP Pavilion and my printer is a HP Officejet 7612. Does anyone know if they make some type of software that I can add to my PC which will allow me to do this? I tried to look this up on-line but I am not familiar enough with the tech language to understand what I was reading. Or, does anyone know if there is a tutorial on-line that will show me how to do this without needing to add a software package? I am trying to use the AVERY iron on labels for this project.

Thanks for reading my post and for any advise you can give me.

dunster 08-21-2016 08:05 AM

You can open the image with Paint and use the 'flip horizontal' function, then save it.

Bree123 08-21-2016 08:08 AM

You can do it in MS Word -- just be aware that all of these DIY fabric printing products will fade. I now rely on Spoonflower any time I need to print photo fabric.

You need to create a Text Box.
Type your text in the box (one word or phrase at a time -- if you have a bunch, you'll need multiple text boxes)
Select your desired font & size
Right mouse click & select Format Shape
Effects (pentagon icon) - Layout & Properties
3-D Rotation
X Rotation: 180
Close

Note: On older versions of MS Word, you do not need to click the pentagon icon (there is none). Just go straight to Layout & Properties

QuiltE 08-21-2016 10:24 AM

I am confused .... why would you need to mirror image?
If you are printing words/lettering and/or photos for a memory quilt,
would you not be printing them readable?

ManiacQuilter2 08-21-2016 11:01 AM

My old H/P Deskjet has the ability to print reversed images. Check your options. I wanted to applique some letters using fusible web on fabric and found the option.

QuiltE 08-21-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7632657)
My old H/P Deskjet has the ability to print reversed images. Check your options. I wanted to applique some letters using fusible web on fabric and found the option.

Now I see what she is wanting to do ....
.... I was thinking she was printing the text and photos as is, onto fabric sheets.
And had not thought that she was doing fusible letters.

Guess it was the thread title that got me confused,
thinking images = photos!

WandaVA 08-21-2016 03:33 PM

A really fast and easy way is to download Irfanview; open the picture and flip it. www.irfanview.com/

sept97 08-23-2016 03:05 AM

if you're printing right on the fabric (which I would suggest) you don't need to do a mirror image. You can either go buy the kit at Joanns (June Taylor has a kit) or you can iron a piece of fabric (same size at paper in printer) onto freezer paper and it will go thru your printer. Let it dry then hit it with an iron to set the ink. There are alot of tutorials on youtube. I think they will fade if you put them in the dryer. I did iron on transfers to a wall hanging at least 15 years ago and they haven't faded at all

romanojg 08-23-2016 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7632611)
I am confused .... why would you need to mirror image?
If you are printing words/lettering and/or photos for a memory quilt,
would you not be printing them readable?

I agree, you would only need to mirrow image it if you were flipping it. When you print it onto fabric you wouldn't need to do that. Just think of how you print a photo, you don't mirrow image it, you just print it out and frame it. It would be the same as printing on fabric. If you aren't sure, print the first one on paper and see how it looks, you should see that its ok. Good luck.

Evie 08-23-2016 06:32 AM

Thanks, Bree. I needed this info. I just tested it; you can also use this method to reverse photos (no text box needed). Yay!

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7632514)
You can do it in MS Word -- just be aware that all of these DIY fabric printing products will fade. I now rely on Spoonflower any time I need to print photo fabric.

You need to create a Text Box.
Type your text in the box (one word or phrase at a time -- if you have a bunch, you'll need multiple text boxes)
Select your desired font & size
Right mouse click & select Format Shape
Effects (pentagon icon) - Layout & Properties
3-D Rotation
X Rotation: 180
Close

Note: On older versions of MS Word, you do not need to click the pentagon icon (there is none). Just go straight to Layout & Properties