Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Probably about to ask a really dumb question but......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/probably-about-ask-really-dumb-question-but-t165763.html)

FERSID 11-03-2011 01:41 PM

Probably about to ask a really dumb question but.........

I've never used the printable fabric quilting labels, in fact, I haven't even seen a package to read how they are laid out and how you use them.

I've only seen the 8-1/2 x 11 printable fabric sheets - they come 5 or 6 to a pack and each sheet is one undivided sheet.

My question (hopefully it's not been ask a trizillion times before and, it's not a dumb one) is if you only need to print ONE, SINGLE label, is the fabric sheet you print on one single sheet or, is it divided into a number of separate areas (like a sheet of shipping labels, if you understand my meaning).

Seems to me to be a waste of a lot of printable fabric just to print one label - cut the printed label from the sheet but then it won't fit into the printer properly for another time.

Does my question make sense????? or am I just not understanding the concept of the printable fabric label sheets.

QandE2010 11-03-2011 01:51 PM

I don't know about the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, as I always have either made my own with my embroidery machine or purchased the ones that are about 5 x 7, which is a nice size. Hopefully someone will be able to answer this question. I will be watching the thread to see the comments, too. And no, that is not a stupid question at all.

Jennifer22206 11-03-2011 02:17 PM

Sure, you can print multiple labels on one page. I did it a few times. If you have a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can design 4 or so labels to fit on one page.

FERSID 11-03-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206 (Post 4626377)
Sure, you can print multiple labels on one page. I did it a few times. If you have a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can design 4 or so labels to fit on one page.

I don't have either of those programs and what I probably didn't query was: suppose you want to make ONE label only - because it will have very specific info on it - you don't want to print multiple labels with the same info on it - so my dilemma - how do you print JUST ONE label on the printable quilt label sheets.

Perhaps I'll have to buy a package so I can see what they look like - for the life of me, I just can not envision how they work for a single label.

ghostrider 11-03-2011 02:28 PM

You can do multiple labels (meaning more than one, not necessarily all the same) in any word processing software or publishing (Word, Publisher, etc) software as well as the graphic programs. As long as the area you print is rectangular, you can easily cut it off and print the remaining part later on by either changing the paper size on your printer or making sure the label is placed to print on the leading edge and not the trailing edge of the fabric sheet.

They work just the same as a piece of copy paper. Whatever you can do with that, you can do with a label sheet.

quiltingsavta 11-03-2011 02:33 PM

I use the sheets all the time. They are not perferated. I find it best to fill up the whole page since the sheets are so expensive. Say you have just a small 4x6 picture to print out. Cut it out as cleanly as you can. I have re-used them but sometimes they get jammed. When you are ready to use it again, just make sure you put the full edge side in the feeder. Does that make sense?

FERSID 11-03-2011 02:36 PM

Okay, I think I'm getting the grasp of it. I'll just have to buy a pack and do some experimenting with the programs and printers I have to see what works best.

Thanks everyone for your help.

nightquilter 11-03-2011 03:09 PM

Experiment on plain computer paper first so you will not waste the more pricey stuff. That is what I do.

Originally Posted by FERSID (Post 4626491)
Okay, I think I'm getting the grasp of it. I'll just have to buy a pack and do some experimenting with the programs and printers I have to see what works best.

Thanks everyone for your help.