Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with 3/8" sashing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-3-8-sashing-t177495.html)

granny_59 01-30-2012 02:35 AM

Problem with 3/8" sashing

Good morning all

Imagine you have to add two 3/8“ sashings and the seam allowance from the first one has to be ironed to the right, can’t even be lifted to the left temporarily.

If I try to add the second one I have three layers of fabric (depending on the pattern up to five) under the left side of the presser foot and on the right side only one. Therefore I keep slipping off and have a hard time to get a straight seam.

How do you deal with that problem? I thought of sticking something under the right side of the presser foot to level it out!? Do you have any idea?
Thanks a lot
Granny

TanyaL 01-30-2012 03:43 AM

Will your zipper work foot?

SueSew 01-30-2012 04:15 AM

In her book Bindings Borders and Edges, Sally Collins suggests that on very narrow borders you add extra width to your border fabrics so you don't have the one-foot-off syndrome. I have NOT tried this but will be doing so on current project. She also explains how to do multiples and then grade the seam allowances and press.

I recommend that any all of her other books - she leaves nothing to the imagination.

sewjoyce 01-30-2012 05:26 AM

I recently added a 1 1/2" border to a quilt which is the smallest I've tried to add....it worked best for me to have the quilt on top and the border underneath. (Does that makes sense?)

BellaBoo 01-30-2012 05:44 AM

If I have more then one border I sew all of them together first then attach it to the quilt, same with sashing for a block. I would iron the seam open so not so much bulk.

granny_59 01-30-2012 06:40 AM

thank you all.
I dont understand the Sally Collins method in this specific case. What does it help to make the first sashing wider if I have to sew at 3/8" anyway? And I cant make the blocks bigger (DJ) to have fabric under both sides ot the presser foot. Maybe I should buy the book as my imagination does not work on this one :-)

And sewing the two 3/8" sashings together first I would end up with even more layers on the left side attaching them to the block - wouldnt I?

I think I will try the zipper foot and see how it works.
Granny

sewmary 01-30-2012 11:44 AM

I know there is a special foot I can get for my Pfaff that is made for uneven thicknesses. I am at work so can't tell you what it is called. Might be a solution.

Lori S 01-30-2012 12:07 PM

I work frequently with really small sashings and borders, some will finish at 1/4 inch or just under. A few tips. Starch these prior to cutting , and I mean STARCH the daylights out of them . I use the concetrate full strenght for this type of work allowing it to air dry for the best stiffness. Then use a foot that allows you to needle over , so that the bulk of your fabric is under the foot, using the foot edge as a guide.
Sometimes depending on the width is it better to "ride the ridge", having the ridge under the presser foot and making the adjustments with your needle.

Peckish 01-30-2012 12:27 PM

I make my sashings wider, press them, sew the other parts together, then trim to a 3/8 seam allowance afterwards. If I have to trim first to avoid stitching the seam allowance in the next seam, then I move my needle, switch to a different foot, or use no foot at all, to avoid that bump.

Good luck.

AnnieH 01-30-2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 4926048)
I make my sashings wider, press them, sew the other parts together, then trim to a 3/8 seam allowance afterwards. If I have to trim first to avoid stitching the seam allowance in the next seam, then I move my needle, switch to a different foot, or use no foot at all, to avoid that bump.

Good luck.

This looks like a good plan.
Annie