Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   problem FMQ, advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-fmq-advice-please-t292179.html)

quiltlady1941 10-26-2017 09:13 AM

problem FMQ, advice please

i am quilting a quilt for a friend, these blocks were pieced by her grandmother and all by hand, the blocks were a mess some bigger and some not sewn together well, stitches very big almost like they were just basted with a long running stitch and she used embroidery floss, but my friend said she just wanted it done because it was the last quilt make by her grandmother when she was in a nursing home. I can see why the blocks were made like this, as she had no sewing machine available to her.

Ok my question.. I am FMQ a stippling design and every time I go over a block the foot catches on the seams, do you think i could turn the quilt over and quilt from the back as I am really not following a pattern just an all over designs. would the feed dog catch the seams, Thanks

tuckyquilter 10-26-2017 09:31 AM

I suspect those "lumps" of the seams would be the same no matter what side you work on. Maybe so the stippling around them? What a lovely tribute to the grandmother.

Tartan 10-26-2017 09:37 AM

Do you have a solid darning/ FMQ foot? My Bernina has a round dish shaped foot that keeps the surrounding area by the needle down and I would use that. If you don't have another foot, I might try laying a sheet of tissue paper over the surface, quilt through it and remove it after the quilting. As for quilting it upside down, I would put the tissue paper under it so it didn't catch on the feed dogs if you can't lower them.

cashs_mom 10-26-2017 09:44 AM

I second Tartan's suggestion. If you're not using a FMQ or darning foot, that might solve the problem.

QuiltnNan 10-26-2017 10:16 AM

i have a foot similar to Tartan's... it's called a big foot. it's dish shaped and see through. i've been using it successfully while waiting for my regular fmq arrives.

Cari-in-Oly 10-26-2017 04:24 PM

I have the same type of foot for my HQ long arm, it's called a glide foot.

Cari

quiltlady1941 10-26-2017 05:26 PM

Oh thank you ladies, I am going to try changing my foot on my machine, the one I am using now it shaped like a U and I think it is called a opened toe foot. I have always used this one for FMQ but part of the foot goes under the seam and get caught and I have to back up or try and get it out. Thank you all for your help hope it works, now to look and see if I have a different foot..

cashs_mom 10-27-2017 09:22 AM

I've never seen an open toe foot used for free motion. It seems like it wouldn't allow the fabric to move freely under it as it sits in contact with the bed of the machine.

Jingle 10-27-2017 05:14 PM

I think I would have taken it apart, trimmed where necessary and resewn it. Then FMQ it.

Sewbeeit2 10-29-2017 11:01 AM

Yes. Just flip.