Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem Help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-help-t268220.html)

QuiltingHaven 08-01-2015 03:12 AM

Maybe I can help here (from your favorite fabric buyer). My dear 88 year old sister-in-law has an antique quilt (over 60 years old) that had holes from "just old fabric" that she wanted repaired. Here is what I did. I found some fabric that was as close as I could come with it ( it did turn out every well). I made the hole just enough to be able to turn under the area (a circle ) and I tucked a one inch piece inside the hole and gently using a small knitting needle to smooth the patch in under the top of the quilt on the batting. Then I took a quilting needle and made tiny stitches all the way around the edge of that was folded over and when I finished, you couldn't even find where I did it. Took some time but it was worth it for her. Just an idea for you.

MarLeClair 08-01-2015 11:58 AM

It is her quilt and you need to ask her how she wants to handle it. I wouldn't applique anything until you ask her. At 90 something she might be offended if you do something on you own.

Garden Gnome 08-01-2015 12:05 PM

There is a possibility she doesn't realize she snipped the fabric. I wonder if this is something she completed recently, or years before, when her eyesight was better?

zozee 08-01-2015 04:00 PM

I would gently point out the holes first and try to mend with extra fabric if she has it .If she doesn't, tell her your suggestion about scattering appliques. She might love the creative "fix" to her problem, and feel respected that you asked her before doing anything.

soccertxi 08-01-2015 08:32 PM

On a long arm site I follow, someone suggested Bo Nash. They described it as a powder you sprinkle on the hole with a piece of fabric under the hole. You iron it to bond it (from what I gather!) Worth looking into.

lclang 08-02-2015 03:58 AM

Consult her first to see if she has scraps, if not get some very fine tulle and lay over the snips and then quilt over the tulle. It will hardly be noticed after the quilt is done. The tulle should match or be as near as possible to the color of the snipped spot.

illinois 08-02-2015 04:42 AM

Definitely need to tactfully mention to her about the oops. Lots of good ideas here. Since you are long-arming it, can you use the machine to "embroider" stars over the cut places?

annette1952 08-02-2015 04:47 AM

I would ask your aunt if she is aware of the holes & ask her if she wants you to applique over them. I can't see any other way of fixing them.

imsewnso 08-02-2015 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=soccertxi;7274288]On a long arm site I follow, someone suggested Bo Nash. They described it as a powder you sprinkle on the hole with a piece of fabric under the hole. You iron it to bond it (from what I gather!) Worth looking into.[/QUOTE

BO NASH is great stuff!! Amazing how great it works. If the holes are not too big you CAN fix them with this. It will NOT show where it was repaired.

Maureen NJ 08-02-2015 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 7273177)
Does you DH Aunt know about the holes? I would ask her how she would like you to handle it.

Also, she may have some of the fabric leftover that you could inconspicuously applique a patch.