Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   problem with machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-machine-quilting-t102962.html)

Cuilteanna 02-25-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I quilted it to the best of my limited abilities and then.....................got out my fine tipped sharpie marker and colored the thread dots on the front black.

I have an entire drawer in my sewing room filled with various colours and brands of permanent markers for things like that. I have even been known to use them when a block is just slightly "off" and I can make it look nearly perfect by colouring in a bit (matching the fabric of course). Sometimes I even blend markers to get it right!

Sadiemae 02-25-2011 10:58 AM

As long as the color is correct, it is a great idea to use a sharpie.

sharoney 02-25-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
that's almost an impossible feat to acheive, you may have to choose one color

agree- I've tried and have never been able to do it successfully.

damaquilts 02-25-2011 12:21 PM

Its good to know that I am not just messing something up. I have black sharpies.:-)

damaquilts 02-25-2011 12:22 PM

Thank you everyone. I had to take a break to take the dog for a walk so now back to the machine

Dandish 02-25-2011 12:28 PM

In the FMQ class I took last Saturday, the instructor said that it is impossible to avoid small dots on one side or the other, so pick threads and backing fabrics carefully when machine quilting. I have read the marker idea before, and think it's brilliant!

Central Ohio Quilter 02-25-2011 12:36 PM

I like that marker idea! Good thinking!

nativetexan 02-25-2011 12:53 PM

is it polyester batting? it may be coming through. i did a black quilt and sewed with black thread and had no problems. poly batting tends to do that.
and yes, i have done the colored micron pigma pen idea too.

damaquilts 02-25-2011 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have pretty much stopped using poly battings. I used and 80/20 on this one.I find I really like those. And have been using them quite a bit.

I have something to show you all.

Just for giggles I turned my machine sideways. I like it. Much easier to machine quilt except it is a reach. I have the quilt table I got with the machine on, I find I cannot machine quilt with out it , too much drag.
That is the only change I made.
Explain this. :?: picture. Not a white dot to be seen

I did find out I can't follow a line to save my life. I have a retinal vein occlusion, so I have a big black spot in the middle of my left eye. Really a challange on close things. Talk about wonky quilting. lol

sherriequilts 02-25-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I quilted it to the best of my limited abilities and then.....................got out my fine tipped sharpie marker and colored the thread dots on the front black.

I have an entire drawer in my sewing room filled with various colours and brands of permanent markers for things like that. I have even been known to use them when a block is just slightly "off" and I can make it look nearly perfect by colouring in a bit (matching the fabric of course). Sometimes I even blend markers to get it right!

I will have to remember this great idea.