Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem sewing straight seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-sewing-straight-seams-t280301.html)

Celeste 07-09-2016 01:35 PM

Problem sewing straight seams

I have a Featherweight and have been having some trouble.

The machine seems to pull to the left. I have a hand on the front and back of the strips and I can see it veering off to the left.

I hope I can get some advise on how to correct this!

Bearpawquilter 07-09-2016 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 7598069)
I have a Featherweight and have been having some trouble.

The machine seems to pull to the left. I have a hand on the front and back of the strips and I can see it veering off to the left.

I hope I can get some advise on how to correct this!

I own a featherweight also but I can't remember if you can adjust the pressure foot pressure. I was having that same problem on another machine and discovered that was the problem. Good luck.

sewingitalltogether 07-09-2016 02:03 PM

I sew kinda like I walk. Not in a straight line.

rryder 07-09-2016 02:23 PM

The featherweight does have an adjustment for the presser foot pressure. There is a finger screw on the top of the machine head (just above the faceplate). Try adjusting that to see if it corrects the veering.

rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Prism99 07-09-2016 03:02 PM

The feed dogs can be out of alignment. If you Google, you should be able to find a website that shows how to adjust the feed dogs. they need to be straight from back to front; if they are skewed a little, they will pull the fabric in an "off" direction. I think it's a screw that holds them in place.

jokir44 07-09-2016 06:49 PM

Presser foot adjustment solved my problem. It was way to loose when I got it and it sewed seams anywhere it wanted to. Now it is well behaved.

Friday1961 07-11-2016 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7598087)

LOL! Me, too. I've been known to careen off my own walls in the hall! Stone cold sober, too! LOL

tlpa 07-11-2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7599280)
LOL! Me, too. I've been known to careen off my own walls in the hall! Stone cold sober, too! LOL

So funny.....me too! And door jambs too.

jmoore 07-11-2016 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7598087)

This is when I wish we had a "Like" button... So true.

Watson 07-12-2016 04:33 AM

This happened to me, too and when I purchased a new machine, I had a heck of time allowing it to sew straight, I was so used to having to guide it!
Someone also mentioned that if you are using a really thin foot, (Like a zipper foot), that can make your material wander.

Watson