Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problem with straight stitch slide plate on Juki HZL-DX7 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problem-straight-stitch-slide-plate-juki-hzl-dx7-t279621.html)

Patricia Drew 06-15-2016 01:17 PM

Problem with straight stitch slide plate on Juki HZL-DX7

I just wanted to alert owners of this model, which I believe is sold in the US as the DX2000QVP. I've had this machine for two months. I've used it a lot, did decorative stitches on crazy quilt blocks, etc. All of this was done with the normal large needle hole. I then switched to the straight stitch small hole, using the lever on the throat plate, to do some FMQ.

When I returned to the normal hole to do some zig zag stitches, the machine did not recognize that I had changed from straight stitch to normal hole, and therefore I could not select the zig zag stitch.

I contacted Juki via their Product Support Contact at Juki Home, and was contacted by a technician less than an hour later. It was finally determined that a sensor is not relaying information to the main board. Juki will get back to me in a day or so to let me know how they will handle this.

If you own this machine, you might want to check whether your lever works. When you remove the clear plastic lid over the bobbin, the lever is upper right relative to the bobbin. Detailed information is also available in the Instruction Manual (page 30 for the HZL-DX7).

I think it's important to check this while machine is still under warranty.

Onebyone 06-15-2016 02:17 PM

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure many will check that haven't done before.

dunster 06-15-2016 03:26 PM

I know it is a pain to deal with this problem, but it is nice that your machine is designed to sense which hole is being used. I have to physically change the throat plate on my Bernina 440QE. I can't remember how many times I've started to do a zigzag, or move the needle far to the left or right when the small hole throat plate was on. Broken needle every time, but so far no other damage and haven't had to retime the machine.

Patricia Drew 06-16-2016 04:37 AM

I've had that problem too, dunster, with my old Singer. Fortunately, like you, I've never had to retime the machine.

mkc 06-16-2016 04:38 AM

I'm curious if the mechanism that moves the piece on the plate is attached to the plate or if it's part of the machine.

They don't show the underside/plate removed on the Juki site, but the photos above look exactly like a manually-operated (lever) version of the Janome 7700's APC plate. On that machine, the spring that operates the little rectangle that switches between single hole and zig zag is somewhat fragile. I've been careful with the one on my 7700, but looking at the mechanism you can definitely see wear on it from switching back and forth.

Michelle

Patricia Drew 06-16-2016 07:13 AM

Hi Michelle, The mechanism is attached to the plate. I can see the spring that you mention, and it looks OK. I don't quite understand how the "sensor" works and how it connects to the main board of the computer. But Juki seem convinced that the sensor is the problem.

sewbizgirl 06-16-2016 09:00 AM

This is why I love the simple, all mechanical machines. So much less to go wrong!

Patricia Drew 06-16-2016 11:17 AM

You have a point, sewbizgirl! So glad I have my Juki TL2010Q and my old Singer to do the job until the problem with the DX7 is resolved.

mkc 06-17-2016 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew (Post 7578513)
Hi Michelle, The mechanism is attached to the plate. I can see the spring that you mention, and it looks OK. I don't quite understand how the "sensor" works and how it connects to the main board of the computer. But Juki seem convinced that the sensor is the problem.

Can you see the sensor or know where it is? If it's optical, I wonder if there could be lint or something like that on it. It must be something that picks up either the position of the little rectangular needle hole piece in the plate, some aspect of the mechanism on the back of the plate, or the position of the lever that operates the plate.

I can't look at my 7700 and see what it used (and based on experience, I don't believe the 7700 has the same sensor).

Michelle

Patricia Drew 06-17-2016 09:19 AM

Hi Michelle! I removed the throat plate again to have another look. I can't really see where the sensor is, and to be truthful, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for .... When the problem occurred a couple of days ago, I did do a thorough cleaning, removed the bobbin holder, etc. I've been cleaning the machine very regularly since I've had it, so there was very little lint, no caught threads. I'm still waiting to hear from Juki. Sent my contact a follow-up email this morning.