Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problems with FMQ- please help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problems-fmq-please-help-t300879.html)

SusieQOH 11-13-2018 06:43 AM

Problems with FMQ- please help!

Hi friends,
I made a table runner and wanted to FMQ it. (I'm not that good at it yet)
I have a Juki TL2010Q and yesterday it gave me fits.
Here's the problem:

Top thread breaking.
Long stitches interspersed with good looking stitches.

When I switch to piecing it works fine.
Obviously it's not that it's threaded improperly.
I have Aurifil top and bottom thread.
I'm stumped and I really want to get this thing done so I can use it on my table for the holidays.

I'm started to wonder if I'll ever be able to FMQ.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Patricia Drew 11-13-2018 06:46 AM

What size needle are you using ? I quilt with a TL2010Q and use a size 14 topstitch needle.

anonymous 11-13-2018 06:51 AM

I was thinking needle also, it can make a big difference.

Watson 11-13-2018 07:02 AM

If the fmq foot is not close enough to the fabric it will break the top thread consistently.

Tartan 11-13-2018 07:18 AM

If the thread is breaking and you have long stitches, you need to work on your hand speed verses machine speed. If you can set the speed down on your machine, put it so if you press your foot pedal down completely it will only go a comfortable FMQ speed. If you are not using Machinger or similar gloves to help move the quilt, get some as they really help.
Accept that you will never get as perfect a stitch length as when you are regular sewing. When FMQ the stitch length will vary.

SusieQOH 11-13-2018 07:48 AM

I believe I'm using a size 14 Organ needle that came with the machine.
I use Machinger gloves. Can't work without them.
I need to check where the foot is hitting, thanks.
Thanks to everyone.

bjchad 11-13-2018 12:47 PM

Some machines (mine until I had the feed dogs replaced) don’t like to sew with feed dogs down. Try with feed dogs up and see if it goes better. I know it sounds like a silly thing to do but sometimes it can be the answer.

stitch678 11-13-2018 02:27 PM

A hopping quilt foot ( like a darning foot, only clear) works WAY better than a " gliding" foot, as it holds the fabric down for an instant while completing a stitch, then hops up for your quilt to move.

QuiltE 11-13-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 (Post 8160861)
A hopping quilt foot ( like a darning foot, only clear) works WAY better than a " gliding" foot, as it holds the fabric down for an instant while completing a stitch, then hops up for your quilt to move.

However, until I used a gliding foot for FMQ, I detested it!
That was part of what got me to love FMQing.

In the end, it's best for everyone to try different things, and find out what works best for them!

cashs_mom 11-13-2018 02:46 PM

My Juki 2200 QVP Mini was giving me fits when I started FMQ'ing my string quilt. Thread breaking, looping on the back. I finally stopped and did the whole clean up routine. I unthreaded, replaced the needle, removed the throat plate and cleaned there and cleaned the bobbin area using my handy-dandy LED flashlight. Sure enough there was a tiny piece of thread stuck in the bobbin case. I got that out and oiled everything up, put it back together and rethreaded and everything was fine. I FMQ'd the whole quilt with no more problems.