Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   problems with FMQ using odif 505 basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problems-fmq-using-odif-505-basting-spray-t303658.html)

hollygrovecarole 03-17-2019 04:42 PM

problems with FMQ using odif 505 basting spray

I am trying to free motion quilt on a quilt I used basting spray. When I practice on a small piece of quilt sandwich there is no problem, but my machine will not form stitches on the actual quilt where I use the basting spray. Has anyone had this same problem or any ideas?

cashs_mom 03-17-2019 05:47 PM

I've never had a problem with either of my machines that I do FMQ on with 505 basting spray.

QuiltE 03-17-2019 07:41 PM

Like CashsMom, I've never had problems FMQing when I use 505.

That being said ... oh yes I have ... there's been many an operator error!!!
But I can't blame it on the 505. Wish I could!

Some thoughts for you ... when practicing on a small sandwich, it is different than a big one.
First of all, consider is it assembled identical to your "real" quilt,
including the 505, and same batting, and fabrics and treatments of each?

Further, you get more drag the bigger it is, so harder to move around.
The big/small quilts are you moving them the same speed under the needle?

Continuing on with suggestions for you,
you may need to change the type and/or size of needle you are using.
Also, the tension may need to be adjusted.

Just some ideas that may help you trouble shoot!
Good Luck!

cashs_mom 03-17-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8227022)
Like CashsMom, I've never had problems FMQing when I use 505.

That being said ... oh yes I have ... there's been many an operator error!!!
But I can't blame it on the 505. Wish I could!

Oh, I've had the operator error kind of problems. I should have said "I haven't had any problems related to the 505"

Tartan 03-17-2019 08:32 PM

If the quilt sandwich is the same as the sample that worked fine, then it probably isn’t the 505. Make sure the quilt is all up around the machine and is supported, so there isn’t quilt drag. Machinger gloves will help you move the quilt better. The problem may be between how fast you are sewing versus how fast you are moving the quilt.

rvsfan 03-18-2019 02:09 AM

I use 505 on every quilt and have never had a problem .

joyce888 03-18-2019 11:27 AM

Are you using the same fabrics and batting in your practice piece? Might be the problem.

rryder 03-18-2019 11:31 AM

The only problem I've had with 505 was if I put too much on and then tried to quilt it immediately rather than letting it cure for a day. Too much 505 that was still sticky led to my needle gumming up which did cause a problem with stitch formation.

Rob

ruby2shoes 03-18-2019 11:06 PM

Never liked 505 (or any other basting spray I tried) for anything larger than a tablerunner. Always had problems.

WMUTeach 03-19-2019 04:07 AM

I use basting spray on all my quilts and never have a problem with quilting, FM, wavy or straight line. I use one of the sprays from JoAnn's. It is scentless, holds well and is water soluble. I LOVE it. I watch for it on sale or I use a coupon and hope for the 50% off one of course! I don't recall the name but it is not found in the quilting area but back near the buttons, velcro and needles. It is in a purple and white can with a sewing machine on the front. It is clearly for sewing. There is an identical can that is blue and white but is for crafts. That one gums up the needle.