Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Problems With Free Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/problems-free-patterns-t266462.html)

Ps 150 06-15-2015 09:34 PM

Problems With Free Patterns

Perhaps it shouldn't bother me, considering they're free patterns, but it does. I just paper pieced a block that was a free pattern, but the pattern stated that it was for a 10.5" block, and I got a 7.5" block. At first, I assumed my printer had messed up, but when I went to measure the 1" sample square included in the pattern, it was exactly 1". Does anyone else have these problems?

ckcowl 06-16-2015 02:14 AM

I have not had this problem, maybe you should send a message to whomever you got the pattern from & see if you missed something. I have found sometimes a pattern will say to enlarge by some percentage because the parts don't fit on a regular size page- maybe you missed that

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2015 07:13 AM

I haven't had any problem with free patterns but even the patterns in quilting magazines have numerous mistakes.

Jingle 06-16-2015 08:56 AM

I have found errors in patterns, free, magazines, and books. Very irritating, Some have been very easy to spot. I always try to read all instructions before cutting.

joe'smom 06-16-2015 09:48 AM

I just recently had my first experience with an error in a free pattern. I notice that sometimes the free download patterns include a caution to check for corrections before beginning the pattern, but I've never understood where one would check. When I tried to look up this pattern again, I couldn't find it, so I wondered if they'd removed it from the internet because they realized the mistake. In this case, they'd said to cut 4 3/4" squares, and cut those diagonally both ways, but the resulting triangles were too small. The 4 3/4" was the size it needed to be finished, not before sewing. Luckily I had enough fabric to cut more triangles.

crafterrn1 06-16-2015 10:01 AM

Also with any pattern free or otherwise, cut one block of each block type and check for size and proper cutting instructions. Saves cutting fabric the wrong size. I would try to find the designer of the pattern to let them know there is a mistake. It helps the designers to change the pattern instructions. Luann

Latrinka 06-16-2015 11:44 AM

This is why I don't use patterns, never have. I get ideas, then I just plug in my own math and make it work! If it's too little, add some, if it's too big, cut some off! Like I said before, the quilt police would chew me up and spit me out! All that stuff gives me a headache anyway! I keep it fun.

bearisgray 06-16-2015 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7228735)
This is why I don't use patterns, never have. I get ideas, then I just plug in my own math and make it work! If it's too little, add some, if it's too big, cut some off! Like I said before, the quilt police would chew me up and spit me out! All that stuff gives me a headache anyway! I keep it fun.

Not everyone is able to do that.

Like some of us need written music - others can just play "by ear" -

I think it is like that with sewers - some just "can" without a pattern - some need a pattern and directions.

Latrinka 06-16-2015 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7228741)
Not everyone is able to do that.

Like some of us need written music - others can just play "by ear" -

I think it is like that with sewers - some just "can" without a pattern - some need a pattern and directions.

Oh I know, I have great admiration for some of the patterns ya'll do, I wouldn't touch most of those really intricate ones with a ten foot pole!

ljptexas 06-16-2015 01:07 PM

I've found that too recently. After I'd completed the block, it measured 13.5". From then on, I've checked at least 2 times. Then try to reduce on my scanner....