Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Product to get out ballpoint pen ink stain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/product-get-out-ballpoint-pen-ink-stain-t37850.html)

Rachelcb80 02-24-2010 04:08 PM

I don't even want to go into why I have ink stains on a quilt but does anyone know of a product that works well at getting ink stains out? I tried the dry cleaners already with no luck. All they mananged to do was really wrinkle the quilt. :(

mrspete 02-24-2010 04:11 PM

Heloise use to tell us to use hair spray, it loosens the ink. It's the alcohol in it, so use some alcohol then wash gently with a detergent that has a solvent in it. But, THAT part I don't know. I had a friend who had a leather couch and grand baby smeared ink on it.....oh boy, it was panic and the alcohol sponging faded it to almost nothing. So what if she could have washed it??? worth a try if you don't bet some great professional advice........Good Luck, Ruth

jbud2 02-24-2010 04:13 PM

I srt of always figured if the stain didn't come out at the dry cleaners, it was now set in because they use a lot of heat in their processes. I have used hair spray on clothing to get ink out. Just spritz it and let it soak a bit and then wash.

redquilter 02-24-2010 04:47 PM

Hair spray works like a charm.

JLD 02-24-2010 04:50 PM

I have used hair spray too. I just spray it on and wash like normal. Check before the dryer but it has always worked for me.

ByThePiece 02-24-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I don't even want to go into why I have ink stains on a quilt but does anyone know of a product that works well at getting ink stains out? I tried the dry cleaners already with no luck. All they mananged to do was really wrinkle the quilt. :(

If dry cleaning didn't work and hairspray doesn't loosen it, try to find an Amway distributor and get some L.O.C. (liquid organic cleaner) and apply to the ink. I've been using it to get ink out of and off of things since 1969. If you can't find a distributor, send me a P.M. and you can get it from me.

amma 02-24-2010 05:27 PM

Hairspray, but I found that aerosol works better than the pump type. Also, you may want to try Awesome, I know the Dollar Tree carrys it, as well as some other discount stores.

Oklahoma Suzie 02-24-2010 06:29 PM

hair spray work well.

justwannaquilt 02-24-2010 07:26 PM

hmm never tried hair spray but I know straight rubbing alcohol got black ballpoint ink, and SHARPIE out of my microsuede couch one time.

auntspikie 02-24-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80

If you can find it in your area, try Soilove - Laundry Soil-Stain Remover. It is in a green bottle. I find it at the grocery stores.

Several years ago my boss had a new white shirt on and he stuck a uniball pen without the cap into his pocket and had an ink spot the size of a dime. I went to the store and got him a bottle of Soilove and that night he used it and the ink came out of that white shirt.

Aunt Spikie