Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For projects that have turned into "learning experiences" - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/projects-have-turned-into-learning-experiences-t311428.html)

bearisgray 06-19-2020 01:32 PM

For projects that have turned into "learning experiences" -

What do you do with the "results"?

Have you tried something, and it has basically turned into an unusable mess of pieces sewn together that aren't even suitable for an animal shelter?

What do you do with it? Try to salvage it? Throw it into the waste basket?

If it's a total disaster, I don't even think about "donating" it. If it is a "a lost cause" - why would anyone else want to deal with it?

How much time are you willing to spend on salvaging the fabric in the piece? Is it worth the time and effort?

I have just spent several hours trying to scrape glue off a couple of pieces that the fusible interfacing did not stick to. How stupid was that? I have more fabric that I could cut a new piece from. The piece takes about an 8 x 21 inch piece of fabric.

How dumb is that? (I don't really want to know the answer to that question! lol)

juliasb 06-19-2020 01:49 PM

Hehehehehe been there and done that one! The lost cause I have one that I have been shrinking I should have let go of it a couple years ago as a lost cause. It is in pieces that have been getting smaller and smaller as I take it apart into smaller sections. Now it is sitting in a bag needing to be totally remade. I don't know when to stop on it and give up. At least you have only an 18x21" piece this is a shrinking queen size quilt.. It is kind of like the little engine that could??????

rryder 06-19-2020 02:09 PM

I've been known to un-quilt an entire queen sized quilt and re-quilt it-- but that was a salvageable project. Since I also like to experiment, I would probably have done as you did, try to scape what glue off I can. If I couldn't get the glue off, then I'd use the gluey piece in an experimental way just to see what happens. I have also been known to cut "unredeemable" quilts into long strips and stitch them together with other strips from "unredeemable" quilts to make art pieces that I then embellish with stitching, felting, applied ribbons, etc. Sometimes they turn out to be pretty interesting pieces of art. Other times, they just become fodder for the next time I want to cut something up and see what happens if I layer it with something else I cut up. I can keep myself entertained for hours doing those kinds of things. They don't necessarily lead to something useable, but I usually have fun playing with them.

Rob

Rff1010 06-19-2020 02:21 PM

I took a log cabin class shortly into my journey. Part 1 was regular, part 2 was wonky blocks...many people used Day 2 to continue to work on their part 1 projects. But not me! I ended up with 21 blocks in all different sizes with a variety of fussy cut farm animals in the centers. I knew it was unsalvagable from my perspective. So I brought it to a retreat and gave it away. I only wish I could see the final product.

Jingle 06-19-2020 02:25 PM

Happy to say I haven't had any. I catch them before they get to the unusable stage. I never throw anything away that can be used.

Tartan 06-19-2020 02:41 PM

if I just don’t want to look at a disaster, if it has larger fabric pieces, I rotary cut out the chunks of fabric and throw the rest in the trash.

petthefabric 06-19-2020 03:29 PM

Got a giggle from Rob's reply. The log cabin I think I would have had fun with. Sometimes those unsalvagable are interesting to someone else. Sometimes I think, "It can't get any worse", through rules out the window and have fun playing.

One time a quilt top was donated to "comfort quilts". It was truely a disaster. Looking back it reminded me of a lady with dimentia who kept knitting the same ball of yarn over and over. She just needed to keep her hands busy. It didn't matter the quality. Back to the donation, I took it apart. Tossed out the double knit poly, cordaroy, holy and worn out fabric. Ended up making 5 quilts of what was left (adding some of my own fabric). Since the goal was to use that fabric I got very creative and had fun with it.

Notice: some fabric made it into the trash.

I've also, slashed a project into unrecognizable pieces so wouldn't be tempted to try to salvage it from the trash.

SusieQOH 06-19-2020 05:53 PM

I've given a lot of projects that I just can't stand to Good Will. I figure someone will have a use for the fabric that I never want to see again as long as I live.https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png
The first time I did this I felt guilty until after it was gone and then I felt so much better knowing it was out of sight and out of mind.
Sometimes I get sick of fabric too- out it goes. Life is too short and I have lots of fabric I love.

gillyo 06-19-2020 08:20 PM

I always try to salvage what I can. One of my favorite things to do is make tote bags out of "mistakes." They're handy to have around, easy to make, and often turn out a lot better than I thought they would. Pillows are another great option.

I'm philosophical about a quilt not working out. I've learned more from the pieces I screwed up than the ones that came out well. It's all part of the process.

pbraun 06-20-2020 03:34 AM

Waste not, want not. Who knew we would live under stay at home orders and use everything in the bottom of the freezer?