Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Projects from Quilt Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/projects-quilt-magazines-t263870.html)

Skhf 04-11-2015 04:38 AM

Projects from Quilt Magazines

I was browsing through the quilt magazines yesterday, seeing what was new and if I wanted to purchase a new magazine. I couldn't make up my mind if there was anything new I was interested in and this made me think about the magazines I have at home. Maybe I should make something from a magazine I already have! This leads to my question, How often do you usually make a project from your magazines? Occasionally, one project from each, or never? I decided to hold off on another and look through my existing magazines for the next project. What do you do?

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2015 05:03 AM

I just buy a magazine when I see a pattern I want. I usually have at least made something from every magazine that I have bought. Others that have been given to me, I just purge them from my library and pass them onto another quilter.

Tartan 04-11-2015 05:10 AM

I regularly pick up Quilters Newsletter magazine because I like the articles and I only pick up other magazines if there is a pattern I want. The last pattern I did from a magazine was my Crayon quilt.

Mariposa 04-11-2015 05:16 AM

I'll buy a magazine when I can find at least 2 patterns I like in the issue. Old issues no longer wanted get taken to a guild meeting~

SuzieQuilts 04-11-2015 05:34 AM

I did have a subscription to a few magazines, and then I inherited my mom's collection of magazines. I have not renewed my own subscriptions or created new ones as it will take a "lifetime" to go through her collection. As I go through them I put sticky notes on the patterns I may be interested in. For now, I will keep them as they are my mom's magazines. Every once in a great while I will purchase one from the news stand just to see the latest ideas and patterns.

Fizzle 04-11-2015 05:53 AM

Love quilting magazines! They are inspirational and I enjoy reading them. Have a couple subscriptions. That being said, ��, I have yet to make anything from one!

luvstoquilt 04-11-2015 05:54 AM

I take and enjoy McCall's Quilting and Better Homes and Gardens. I am currently making the quilt in McCall's that is in 6 parts. It is really fun to do and I am loving it. I am on part 3 now in the latest issue. I am making it from my stash. I am not sure I will renew BH&G. I may just start checking them out on the newsstand to see if I want them. I have post-it notes sticking out of a stack of the magazines and I usually make those. If I am not going to make something I take the magazines to my quilting group.

Weezy Rider 04-11-2015 05:59 AM

I never buy magazines for patterns. I will buy one if it has a helpful "how-to" article.

There are too many patterns free and paid for online to clutter up house with paper magazines.

I take some of that back. I kept all my Sew Beautiful magazines and have used the childrens
patterns from those.

patchsamkim 04-11-2015 06:55 AM

I have collected magazines for many years. Here and there I have made something from one of them. Mostly, though, I love sitting down in the evening with a pile of them, and browsing for inspiration...whether a pattern, the colors, etc. Some magazines may only have a few things that I seem interested in after time though, and those I will tear out of the magazines and put into binders. And, I have given away many magazines at guild once I know I am probably never going to make anything out of it. Tastes change over the years!

quiltingbuddy 04-11-2015 07:26 AM

Rarely have I made one from a magazine, but if I do see something that inspires me I will. So I don't have a lot of magazines laying around. I usually use them for inspiration and will occasionally keep a page or two but I have too many ideas already scattered about in my already cluttered mind of quilts I hope I have time to get to. Ah, so little time.......... You get the picture.