Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Proper Height for chair... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/proper-height-chair-t29004.html)

justme 11-19-2009 02:28 PM

I don't know if there has been a discussion on proper chair height, cutting table height, how you should or should not sit while sewing.
Does anyone have any good advice.??? or :idea:

pocoellie 11-19-2009 04:27 PM

I've read and heard that a cutting table should be no lower or higher than 3 inches below, which makes my cutting table perfect for me.

redkimba 11-19-2009 04:33 PM

Getting a proper chair height is always a challenge for me: I'm a 5-foot tall person in a 6 foot tall world. I did discover a folding stool that helps with chairs that are high enough that my heels dangle about an 1-inch off the floor. the stool lets me have a spot so I don't have to dangle.

mic-pa 11-19-2009 05:37 PM

I am tall, and cutting was a problem for me, my back always hurt from bending over. Then I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought bed risers and put them under the legs of my cutting table. Works great, now its the right height. I have a folding table so the legs fit perfect with the risers. Marge

amma 11-19-2009 07:05 PM

I found a office style chair that actually lowers far enough that I can sit in it all of the way back and my feet touch the floor!!!! Being 5" 2" it is hard to find chairs where my feet don't dangle, too.
Some chairs have an adjustment that allows the back to slide forward or back and you can "personalize" it to fit you.
Mine also has a feature where the seat tips forward or back. It has about 6 different levers on it... NO ONE touches my adjustments LMBO
You can find these on sale/clearance at office supply stores. Mine was $60.00 on clearance.

pflum1 11-22-2009 09:43 AM

Sewing machine cabinets heights are usually 29 to 31 inches high. Therefore, I have an office type chair that can be adjusted to the right height. I have tried sewing chairs and they just wasn't right for me. Your bent elbows should be almost level with your machine height. If you have to raise your arms to feed the fabric through the machine, your back will hurt. I don't think a person can say, I'm 5'4" and my height is ?? as each person's arms are in a different place. I had a large drop leaf cutting table custom made and it's height is 36" with is right for me.
Several of my friends put cans of food under the dining room table to raise it at the right height for them. I have a couple old 36" doors that we removed and I use them for drapery tables. We put folding banquet table legs on them and I used conduct pipe and couplings to extend the height. You can put books, wood blocks, etc under the table legs to get the right height.
One friends husband nails several 2 x 4 pieces together, drilled a shallow hole in the center where their table sets and it's just right for her. If you have to lean over to cut, it's too low and will make your back hurt.

cminor 11-22-2009 10:00 AM

I am thinking this may be why my back has been hurting me so much. I work on our dining room table and it is much higher than the chair which makes me raise my arms quite a bit. And I always stand when I cut. . .

Just another reason my husband needs to get cracking on my sewing room :)

sewmuchmore 11-22-2009 10:06 AM

Thank you for tip. I am going shopping Monday I hope I can find them :lol: .

Shemjo 11-22-2009 10:13 AM

Adjustable chairs are wonderful and I need to have my cutting table higher also. I often cut small projects on my ironing board!

GailG 11-22-2009 11:02 AM

Idea #1: What he calls costly, may not what you call costly. Check into it.

Idea #2: Start a kitty to save up for that stool.

Idea #3: Put an add in the paper (or ask around). Offices that are closing or moving may be glad to sell you one of their stools.

Good luck, I love those little stools. Wish I had one too.