Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pros & Cons of floating a top! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pros-cons-floating-top-t258644.html)

mamagrande 12-23-2014 03:16 PM

Pros & Cons of floating a top!

I started out pinning the back and rolling it , adding the batting and then pinning the top and rolling it. Later I saw someone floating the top, I did it and liked it better.

I told the person that taught me that I now float my tops and she was in disbelieve that I would do that. Some times I find that it is easier to work in a top that is not too square... What do you LAers do??

MFord 12-23-2014 03:30 PM

Could you please explain the floating process? Anything that could make life easier with a domestic machine is welcome!

QuiltnNan 12-23-2014 03:30 PM

i always liked floating my tops. sometimes, though, they can go crooked, so that needs to be watched

Luvnquilting 12-23-2014 03:35 PM

I like floating my tops and have found the clips (got mine from Jamie Wallen) keep the top snug when extra tension is needed.

Stitchnripper 12-23-2014 03:41 PM

Does this technique only apply to long arm quilting?

GEMRM 12-23-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7019241)
Does this technique only apply to long arm quilting?

I think so

Prism99 12-23-2014 04:18 PM

Yes, this is a frame quilting technique. No way to float a top with a domestic machine, I'm afraid!

I tried floating, but found I get better results the traditional way -- keeps everything square and even.

cindi 12-23-2014 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7019220)
i always liked floating my tops. sometimes, though, they can go crooked, so that needs to be watched

I've always floated my tops, and use a longarm tape to keep them from going crooked. It works like a charm! Wouldn't be without it. I align the markers along each edge and every sash. Really keeps things square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503519[/ATTACH]
Here's a picture of it "in action":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503522[/ATTACH]

cindi 12-23-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MFord (Post 7019218)
Could you please explain the floating process? Anything that could make life easier with a domestic machine is welcome!

MFord, "floating" is when only the top edge of the quilt is attached to the frame, and the rest just hangs over the bar. I float my top and batting, but attach the backing to keep it taut, since it's harder to see. I used to float it all, but when I ended up with a fold in my backing that I didn't catch until later, I started rolling my backing again. Here's a quilt floated:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503523[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 12-23-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 7019311)
I've always floated my tops, and use a longarm tape to keep them from going crooked. It works like a charm! Wouldn't be without it. I align the markers along each edge and every sash. Really keeps things square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503519[/ATTACH]
Here's a picture of it "in action":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503522[/ATTACH]

Cindi... thanks ever so much for posting that! I saw it in a picture here once [may have been on your setup] and thought that I really need to get myself one of those!!!