Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Protecting fabric stash - shelving finishes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/protecting-fabric-stash-shelving-finishes-t44846.html)

Lizzygail 05-03-2010 06:39 PM

I am building out a new quilting/craft room and am inclined to build my own shelving so it's just the depth, width and arrangement I want BUT, what do different finishes do to fabric over time? Is paint preferable to sealed stain? I'm not overly fond of the 'purchased' shelving available - prefer the more 'natural' look of real wood.
I look forward to your experience and opinions but would love to hear from a fabric manufacturer if there is one in the group!

amma 05-03-2010 06:42 PM

I am curious about this too... I am using plastic shelve units now, and would love to convert to wood.

barbgooch 05-03-2010 06:49 PM

I've heard that over time, any oils or stains in wood will find its way into fabric. Anything you can do to separate the two would be best for the fabric. Shelf paper, muslin or sheets that you don't care about, or painting would all work well. Though wood shelving looks nice, I use vinyl covered wire crate boxes for storage and viewing and quick access.
Barb

schwanton 05-04-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzygail
I am building out a new quilting/craft room and am inclined to build my own shelving so it's just the depth, width and arrangement I want BUT, what do different finishes do to fabric over time? Is paint preferable to sealed stain? I'm not overly fond of the 'purchased' shelving available - prefer the more 'natural' look of real wood.
I look forward to your experience and opinions but would love to hear from a fabric manufacturer if there is one in the group!

My cabinets have raw wood interiors. I purchased vinyl shelf liner and do not place the fabric against the sides or back. I've been debating on lining the sides and back with something but do not have a clue how to do it. Maybe a laminate would do the trick! Good luck.

oldswimmer 05-04-2010 12:45 PM

I have seen in magazines how they line the back of bookshelves with a pretty wall paper. I dont' know if that would work in this case. I don't know much about wall paper, or if it has bad things in the finish. I do know that those pics in the magazines always catch my eye!

Also if you are close to an IKEA, they have some great clear, heavier shelf liner. Once again, though, I don't know how plastic reacts with fabric. Maybe someone else can lend some insight.

Oklahoma Suzie 05-04-2010 03:14 PM

I'm going to keep watching this.

schwanton 05-04-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
I have seen in magazines how they line the back of bookshelves with a pretty wall paper. I dont' know if that would work in this case. I don't know much about wall paper, or if it has bad things in the finish. I do know that those pics in the magazines always catch my eye!

Also if you are close to an IKEA, they have some great clear, heavier shelf liner. Once again, though, I don't know how plastic reacts with fabric. Maybe someone else can lend some insight.

I never thought of wallpaper - vinyl wallpaper would be perfect. Thank you for the idea!

Boston1954 05-04-2010 03:38 PM

I am so concerned about wood that I lined my cedar chest with plastic.

quiltluvr 05-04-2010 06:05 PM

I was thinking of clear contact paper.

Quilting Nonnie 05-04-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I am so concerned about wood that I lined my cedar chest with plastic.

Cedar is especially hard on fabric. It causes those ugly rusty spots on your quilts.

I keep some quilts in a wood display cabinet. The finish has been protected with some kind of urethane. I still lined the inside with acid free paper.