Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Protecting Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/protecting-quilt-t310583.html)

marshatanner 04-15-2020 11:12 AM

Protecting Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Hello I have a large quilt from the 1800s. Its always hung in someone home. I have it now but I'm looking for a way to protect the material. Does anyone have any ideas? The size is about 5 x 5.

Iceblossom 04-15-2020 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by marshatanner (Post 8377954)
Hello I have a large quilt from the 1800s. Its always hung in someone home. I have it now but I'm looking for a way to protect the material. Does anyone have any ideas? The size is about 5 x 5.

What a lovely piece, it looks to be in excellent condition. Did you want to display it or conserve it for storage? I know more about textile storage care than display care.

The easiest thing is to wrap it in a cotton sheet and fold loosely. Keep it on the top of a stack or in a box strong enough to keep it from getting crushed. You want to refold the top periodically, so if you fold in half once, do thirds the next time, start from a different direction. I prefer a sheet but you can put it in a pillow case the same way.

The next level up for storage is archival tissue paper/boxes.

PS: I'm going to suggest that you get your own thread. Welcome to the board and thanks for the picture -- we love pictures!

QuiltnNan 04-15-2020 04:32 PM

Welcome and Happy Quilting

UFOs Galore 04-15-2020 05:04 PM

If the quilt is going remain on a wall for display, definitely keep it out of direct sunlight.

juliasb 04-15-2020 05:56 PM

This is a beautiful Crazy Quilt. I am a big fan of these works. IF you are going to store it some where a non- crushable box and light blue tissue paper like what you would use for a wedding dress to keep the colors from fading. If you are going to display it be sure that you shake it out from time to time to keep dust or lint from collecting it. Keep it out of sun light too. Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I am glad to have you join us. There are many people here who can share some very valuable ideas on how to best protect your beautiful quilt. Again welcome to the QB!

quiltingshorttimer 04-15-2020 06:06 PM

I would suggest you contact the International Quilt Study Center in Lincoln NE (on the Univ. of NE campus)--they have tons of very old quilts and can probably advise you on the best way to protect this lovely crazy quilt (BTW they have a huge collection of crazy quilts) If there is anyway to display it (no sunlight or bright lamplight) laying flat so no folds and no weight pulling the stitching from hanging either.

luvstoquilt 04-16-2020 04:55 AM

I have a friend who has one and she had it professionally framed. It is hanging on a wall in her dining room that doesn’t get direct sunlight. It is stunning. I am sure the cost was high but certainly worth it for such a lovely piece of art.

Jingle 04-16-2020 01:29 PM

Very pretty quilt.

cashs_mom 04-16-2020 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8378072)
I have a friend who has one and she had it professionally framed. It is hanging on a wall in her dining room that doesn’t get direct sunlight. It is stunning. I am sure the cost was high but certainly worth it for such a lovely piece of art.

This is what I would do. My friends lived extensively in the far east and brought back many textiles. They had them framed (sometimes sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass) and hung out of the sunlight. They were beautiful for years.

Peckish 04-16-2020 06:40 PM

I was also thinking of framing. You can buy conservation glass, it's more expensive but blocks 99% of UV light rays.