Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   public domain quilt blocks and patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/public-domain-quilt-blocks-patterns-t261518.html)

twinkie 02-22-2015 05:00 AM

Thank you very much for the information. I don't understand why when material is produced, i.e. collegiate, cartoon characters, the producer must pay a copyright fee for the production of this material. Then if you use it to produce a quilt (or any other craft project) using this material, you can be charged a fee or have your items confiscated. It seems like that is a "double" collection.

arheath 02-22-2015 06:04 AM

The way I understand it is that you cannot take a "image" of that material and use it in any as your own. You can use the material however you choose. There would be no point in designing the material to sell if people could not make with it what they want. However the design on the material itself cannot be copied.

sewbizgirl 02-22-2015 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 7100591)
Thank you very much for the information. I don't understand why when material is produced, i.e. collegiate, cartoon characters, the producer must pay a copyright fee for the production of this material. Then if you use it to produce a quilt (or any other craft project) using this material, you can be charged a fee or have your items confiscated. It seems like that is a "double" collection.

You are speaking of fabric with "licensed images" such as cartoon characters. You can use them yourself or as gifts but if you are going to use them commercially (for profit) you are supposed to purchase a "license" to do so. I just don't use them.

It makes me sad that this discussion of copyright has got so many quilters worried about getting in trouble. Please relax. Use the blocks you want to use. Just don't copy and distribute any purchased patterns that you have.

nme1974 02-22-2015 06:52 AM

Why do we buy patterns? Can we not sell those quilts made from a pattern we buy? I gift most of my quilts, but if I did want to sell one, would I have to make up my own pattern???

Lady Diana 02-22-2015 07:10 AM

I have tried to post a photo of a quilt posted on pinterest by a lady who too, was wondering who designed and or made the quilt.....I cannot post it here because I cannot post the photo because this board says the photo is copyrighted....therefore, I guess I will never know the designer/quilter in order to purchase her, I'm sure, copyrighted pattern.
Catch twenty two.

AZ Jane 02-22-2015 07:34 AM

I'm in the "if it says copyright, in any way shape or form, I do not use it" camp. Too silly to be believed. They want your business, but don't use their products? Bah!! No thanks, there are too many in the world I can use without worrying I'll be sued by some spindly neck lawyer!!

busygranny 02-22-2015 08:34 AM

I to, am so tired of this can't sell etc. I just do not buy any pattern that says I can't make and sell from the pattern. Give me a break! I ask the store to open pattern and if it says can't sell, I do not buy! One purse pattern actually said I could get permission from the person who designed the pattern to make and sell but had to pay a commission to her. Really!!!!!! That stayed in the store. I will design my own pattern.

madamekelly 02-22-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 7100821)
I'm in the "if it says copyright, in any way shape or form, I do not use it" camp. Too silly to be believed. They want your business, but don't use their products? Bah!! No thanks, there are too many in the world I can use without worrying I'll be sued by some spindly neck lawyer!!

Well said.

ghostrider 02-22-2015 04:41 PM

But it doesn't have to 'say' copyright anywhere at all for it to be covered by copyright...no © symbol, no words, no notification is necessary except for it to be "published", which really just means that someone other than the artist has seen it.