Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/puckering-machine-quilting-why-does-keep-happening-t286317.html)

cannyquilter 02-23-2017 02:36 AM

Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening?

2 Attachment(s)
I spray baste. Backing is always great but quilt top, time after time I just get so much movement of fabric. I've tried starching, have adjusted pressure on quilting foot. The last quilt I did had huge folds of fabric. This one I've been meticulous about squaring up blocks measuring borders etc and still this bunching of fabric. To be honest I just feel like giving up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[ATTACH=CONFIG]568839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568840[/ATTACH]

cannyquilter 02-23-2017 02:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
More pictures
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568841[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568842[/ATTACH]

popover 02-23-2017 03:11 AM

Do you start in the middle and work your way outward?

cannyquilter 02-23-2017 03:25 AM

Yes I do start in the middle. Last quilt was wavy lines close together you would think any excess would get pushed to the sides and work its way to the end but no just lots of folds I couldn't get out.

QuiltMom2 02-23-2017 03:30 AM

Are you using a walking foot on a domestic machine? What spray basting product are you using? What kind of batting?

osewme 02-23-2017 03:32 AM

Are you using a walking foot? Did you stretch your backing & top taunt when you sandwiched it all together? Do you use basting pins to hold it all together? Even when I use basting spray I still use some basting pins to keep it all together. When I have a quilt that is too large to sandwich together on my table top I have to do it on the floor. I will tape the backing to the floor (pulling it taunt) and then tape down all the sides with sealing tape. Then I layer my batting and then cover with the top (again stretching it taunt & taping the top to the floor. After that is done I will pin baste. If I'm doing all this on my sewing table I use industrial clamps to clamp the back & top to the table instead of having to use tape. Hope this helps. Please don't give up. Try a different method.

QuiltnNan 02-23-2017 03:35 AM

do you use a walking foot?

mea12 02-23-2017 03:40 AM

It looks as though the top is not sufficiently adhered to the batting so it would seem the problem is with the product used or the technique. There should be no loose folds on the top or areas where you can see top is not well attached to the batting. When you spray-baste, be sure all areas are covered w/ the spray before laying top down. You need to work in sections..often top down or middle up and middle down..using hands to smooth toward edges. Is that what you are doing?

cannyquilter 02-23-2017 03:46 AM

Yes I use a walking foot on domestic machine. I use 505 spray baste. I don't tape fabric down but always make sure there are no folds when glueing its when I start to quilt that the problems arise. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm busy unpicking!!

cannyquilter 02-23-2017 03:48 AM

I am using soft and bright and have used Vilene 80/20 and warm and natural. I think it has to be to do with my actions rather than the products. I get good adhesion with all battings.