Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Puckering Paper Piecing Seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/puckering-paper-piecing-seams-t266225.html)

pahega 06-10-2015 03:32 AM

Puckering Paper Piecing Seams

I've started my first paper piecing quilt project and I'm hoping someone here can help me solve a problem. All of my seams are puckering. I am sewing with a Janome 15000, stitch length of 1.5, Aurifil thread, a 70/10 needle, batik fabric, and the pattern is on newsprint paper. I've tried an 11 and 14 needle, reduced the tension all of the way down to -3, and rethreaded my machine and bobbin. Nothing has helped. When I sew a regular seam on a piece of scrap fabric, it's fine. Is it the paper that is causing the problem? Any suggestions?

NJ Quilter 06-10-2015 03:46 AM

Interesting. I've never had that happen when paper piecing. Unfortunately, not familiar with your machine and/or it's settings so no clue if that is part of the problem. I normally use copy paper for my paper piecing so not sure if that may be the culprit or not, although I know many folks use the newsprint weight paper and not aware any of them have the issues you are.

I'm sure someone else will be along to help shortly.

janRN 06-10-2015 04:32 AM

I'm not sure I can help but I'll offer one suggestion. Do you spritz your seams with water or use a steam iron to press your seams? Like NJ Quilter, I use copy paper. I had a center seam that wouldn't lay flat so I spritzed it and ironed it; it puckered. Not sure if it was fabric or paper that puckered but now I wait until I remove the paper and then spritz and press those seams again to get them flat.

Onebyone 06-10-2015 04:51 AM

I never had that happen to me when paper piecing. Odd.

ManiacQuilter2 06-10-2015 04:51 AM

I have never had this happen before either. Did you starch the fabric before cutting it into the smaller pieces??

Barb in Louisiana 06-10-2015 05:00 AM

I use both the newsprint in the Judy Niemeyer's patterns or copy paper when the newsprint is not included. I don't have that problem when I am sewing anything unless my thread is hanging up. Meaning, it won't unwind without getting stuck in one of my thread guides. Did you try sewing on two other pieces of material to see if the machine will sew on regular material with the thread you are using for the paper piecing and make a good seam? Some threads are wound so that they have to be sideways to unroll correctly. If you are loading the thread sideways, could it be hanging up on the little notch that is used to secure the thread when you aren't using it? I tend to use larger cones which are 5,000 meters of thread and have to use a separate way to load the thread. Sometimes this can cause hanging up, then releasing, which makes the seams pucker.

This shouldn't matter, but I use a seam length of 1.6 when paper piecing. Although I love the better pressing of steam, I NEVER use steam anymore. I have had all types of puckers and stretching when I use steam. Now, I set my iron on the hottest setting - linen - and make sure I don't leave it on the material too long.

pahega 06-10-2015 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7222373)
I have never had this happen before either. Did you starch the fabric before cutting it into the smaller pieces??

Yes, I used Best Press starch on the fabric before I cut it.

pahega 06-10-2015 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 7222353)
I'm not sure I can help but I'll offer one suggestion. Do you spritz your seams with water or use a steam iron to press your seams? Like NJ Quilter, I use copy paper. I had a center seam that wouldn't lay flat so I spritzed it and ironed it; it puckered. Not sure if it was fabric or paper that puckered but now I wait until I remove the paper and then spritz and press those seams again to get them flat.

No I didn't use steam or spritzed it with water. The seams are puckering as I am stitching them.

Pennyhal 06-10-2015 08:59 AM

It sure sounds like the paper is the problem. If I use too heavy of a paper, I get puckers.

Onebyone 06-10-2015 10:56 AM

It sounds more like a feed problem with the machine.