Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Puckers?? How do you prevent them?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/puckers-how-do-you-prevent-them-t47923.html)

CajunQuilter2 06-01-2010 04:20 AM

No matter how hard I try I keep getting puckers on the backside of my quilts when I quilt them. It there a magic solution I have yet to find?? Please help!!!!

mrsdralshhadeh 06-01-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
No matter how hard I try I keep getting puckers on the backside of my quilts when I quilt them. It there a magic solution I have yet to find?? Please help!!!!

I would love to see the answeres you get!!! Im with you,, I pin the crap out of it,, making sure,(in my mind,,lol) that it will not pucker,, yet I still end up with some,,, :(

thequilteddove 06-01-2010 04:47 AM

Are you hand quilting, quilting using your everyday sewing machine or using a shortarm/longarm frame setup?

grammyp 06-01-2010 04:50 AM

I over stretch the back a bit if I am pin basting. So far that has seemed to work. Now that I have the mid-arm and frame it has gotten easier to prevent them.

bearisgray 06-01-2010 04:50 AM

Assumption: This is not for LAQ quilting?

1) Did you press your backing before laying it out?

2) Did you anchor the backing to the table or floor so it didn't bunch up? (My table isn't wide enough to accommodate all the fabric at one time - so I "weight" the edges of the backing with long rulers or curtain rods - I make a temporary "pocket" for the items by just folding up a side to hold the ruler and pinning it - it provides just enough tension to help keep the backing smooth.

3) Did you smooth the batting so it didn't have any lumps or bumps

4) Did you smooth the top and make sure it was nice and squared up before basting/pinning?

5) Did you use enough pins/basting to keep the layers from sliding/moving around? (I pin at least every four inches) I think it helps to start pinning from the center and work out to the edges.

6) Did you check the back to make sure the backing is wrinkle free before starting to quilt? (I've had to redo the whole thing because somehow or other I got a big wrinkle in - Growl) I think that's why I like pins better than basting

A lot of prevention starts with the preparation.

I don't have many suggestions for the actual quilting. My machine quilting is stitch-in-the-ditch and straight lines (as straight as I can sew them, anyway)

CajunQuilter2 06-01-2010 04:50 AM

I am machine quilting and I do pin, maybe I should pin more?? I just don't know????

LadybugPam 06-01-2010 04:58 AM

I use cotton blend batting - the backing and quilt top virtually adhere to each other

pollyjvan9 06-01-2010 05:07 AM

I FMQ and use spray baste.

I hang my backing, pin it to the design wall, smooth real good

then pin down the sides, spray with baste, then

pin batting to top of design wall, spray about 1/3 of back side, smooth over backing, moving hands from middle of fabric out to the sides (like hanging wallpaper), the pin down side of design board, repeat to bottom of quilt,

pin top to design wall start out by spraying back side about 1/3 of the way down, smooth over batting, spray another 1/3, smooth over batting, etc. pin sides

take out side straight pins and put in a few safety pins down each side, about every 18" or so, take down from design wall and put a few safety pins in top and bottom.

The weight of the fabric and batting helps pull out wrinkles etc., and I don't have to bend over a table or get on the floor.

If you use this method be sure you put up some newspaper or something for the spray bast over spray.

Finally, when FMQ I always start in the middle and work out kind of in a circle, and check the back pretty often to make sure everything is staying in place.

sewcrafty 06-01-2010 05:49 AM

When I sandwich and I know that it'll sound funny to some I layout by batting, then spray baste it then put the backing on and smooth and flatten it out and pin the edges. Then I'll turn it over spray the batting again and put on my top, smooth everything out really well and pin at the borders. Seems to work well.

Holice 06-01-2010 06:09 AM

What kind of pins are you using and how do you pin them.
Are you using the 1" safety pins.
Do you pin but not close them until you have an area pinned?
If you close when you insert the pins there is a tendency to pinch the fabric and the back won't lay flat.
Wait until you have an area done then close. Use one of the "Kwick Klips" or spoons to help close them.
Also, as I an free motion quilting I will often put a few long straight pins just in front of the walking foot to help keep the layers flat.