Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   purchased old beautiful quilt blocks, now what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purchased-old-beautiful-quilt-blocks-now-what-t219343.html)

quilt queen 04-17-2013 07:15 AM

purchased old beautiful quilt blocks, now what?

I've been collecting old quilt blks for several years, want to put them together, but I need some help...don't want to mess it up...they range from early 30's to 50's, have grouped them in years..and I think I want to do samplers, as they are different pattern blks.. I want to hand quilt then..so what kine of batting..have old muslin to use for backing..thanks for any suggestions you may have..some ladies have put alot of hours in making these blks, it is a shame to just keep them in a draw..

Annie68 04-17-2013 07:24 AM

I love quilts made with old blocks, I've done some. You probably want to use a cotton batt, and as you said hand quilt. Good luck and show us when they are done.

JenniePenny 04-17-2013 07:25 AM

I think what I would do first is lay them out and photograph some different layouts, or even use graph paper to try to form a cohesive arrangement. Your blocks are probably different sizes and that adds to their charm, but it means you have to use sashings/ frames/ setting triangles around some of them to be able to create rows.
Sounds like a very interesting project and I would love to do that also!

Wunder-Mar 04-17-2013 07:27 AM

I think you're off to a good start, actually! I purchased some vintage blocks from a reputable seller on eBay, and also bought the white and other solid colored cottons - they're highly likely to be the same age and likely the same quality, which increases the chances of the fabrics' wearing the same way. If the weave density of your muslin and the blocks is the same or about the same, it should be okay. I'd use 100% cotton batting with no loft. If you have feedsack blocks, I'd pair them with a like-weave feedsack sashing fabric, rather than a muslin, which has a tighter weave. As an extra precaution I'd wash the blocks and the muslin in Orvis soap, block while wet and air dry - IF you haven't done this already.

Your projects sound wonderful - have fun for all of us!

quilt addict 04-17-2013 07:31 AM

Jennie is correct about the sizes and settings. This is the challange for old blocks, BOM and exchanges. There just a tad off. So I would think about what you want your quilts to be. Are you trying to create traditional looking quilts that reflect the time period of the blocks? If so, maybe a traditional setting with sashing.

Are they scrappy blocks? Look at some scrap quilts. Or you may want to sort them and focus on a color way.

I would love to see pictures as I have some in a box that I want to do too.

OCquilter 04-17-2013 08:07 AM

I am a hand quilter with lots of hand quilting friends who swear by 100% wool batting. I haven't tried it yet but they say it is so easy to quilt through. I plan on trying it with some old churn dash blocks given to me. I have to square them up with old muslin before I can sew them together.