Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Purchasing 108" backing fabric for your front sashing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purchasing-108-backing-fabric-your-front-sashing-t318128.html)

PurplePansies 05-04-2022 05:16 AM

Is "sashing" the borders? If yes, I mostly use 45", pieced diagonally, but I do save my left over 108" backing and use it as borders if it matches the top. In fact, I just finished a top where the borders are just that, left over 108" backing.

FoggyButFocused 05-04-2022 06:21 AM

If the color is right, I use it regardless of the width. I have only had an issue once with a wide fabric, and it was the fault of the person who cut it. When I spread it out on the table, it was more like an hourglass shape than a rectangle. I barely got the yardage I needed out of it. Because of the shape, I think I lost about 6 inches side to side.

I think the wide widths are more cost effective if you are paying MSRP. I also like them for borders because there's no seaming required. I don't have any issues using wide widths.

Snooze2978 05-04-2022 06:40 AM

Not for ssashing or borders but for piecing. I bought a purple/black checked backing for a couple backings, borders and binding. I'm still using it for piecing as I'm getting down to the last bit of it. Think I might have ordered around 10 yards when it was on sale back then and this was before 2018 as I haven't ordered any fabric since Nov 2018.

ckcowl 05-04-2022 07:32 AM

I often choose wide backings for using on fronts, blocks, borders, whatever. There are literally hundreds of great wide backing fabrics on the market now. I get most of mine from fabric dot com but I know there are other places with good selections too. Our little local quilt shop carries some beautiful wide batiks along with some prints and solids.m

lwbuchholz 05-04-2022 04:11 PM

So far I have used the backing and folded it over the front for the binding. But I haven't used it for sashing but I can't see why not!

cat-on-a-mac 05-04-2022 06:19 PM

yes and no ... some backing fabrics aren't the same as their 45" siblings. I bought a grunge backing once that was had the same name as a 45", but it had a totally different feel. It was not soft like the 45" .

bj 05-04-2022 06:47 PM

I don’t buy wide backs specifically for use on the front of a quilt. But I do try to position the quilt on the backing so I have the least amount of waste. What’s left when the excess is trimmed away I use wherever I can: binding, sashing, borders, piecing! I especially feel lucky when I can manage binding or borders out of it because you get nice long strips.

Julienm1 05-05-2022 03:47 AM

I purchased way to much of a 108. Gold tone pattern. Definately a "what was I thinking purchase." Now I'm pretending the back is really the front. Muted color so works great as a neutral for my scrappy quilts. I bought both sides so I'm using both sides...lol:rolleyes:

BonnieJP 05-05-2022 09:57 AM

I have used the 108" wide backing for piecing on the front of my quilts with no problems. It's nice because it provides continuity between the front and the back of the quilt too.

Terry in the ADK 05-05-2022 03:25 PM

Often I find the wide back thinner then regular quilting Cotten. It is not related to cost as far as I can tell. Anyone else find this as well?